Any Know Issues Using Arris TM1602A?

For some reason after running speedtests the overall bandwidth is cut in half, for example instead the bandwidth package is 100/20 but I'm receiving 59/9. I made changes to try to get my router and reset to defaults to compensate the docsis 3 arris mta, but I'm only able to receive 89/9. Although the bandwidth is 89/9 dslreports show I'm receiving an A+ and so this is achieved by using Qos. Using a linksys ea3500 with lede-project firmware the latest version. So this why i can ask this forum if there is a unique setting like some broadcast flag or certain ip address to use to setup around the arris netmask which is 255.255.192.0? I had a chat session with a tech last evening and he checked the arris and didn't see anything that would cause such a problem, signal, frequency and snr were great with a 16 channel downstream and 4 channel upstream, he informed me that i should receiving 122/22 and so I configured Qos around those numbers until I was able get the A+ bufferbloat grade. Now I'm looking for some pointers if any. Thank you for reading this post.

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Any Know Issues Using Arris TM1602A?

There are no settings in the 1602 that you have access to and should not be trying to change anything in it, Any problems you have are in the configuration of the router. First of all set it to autodetect WAN settings.

Do you own this or is it leased?

Do you have emta phone service?

If so, there may be an issue with IPv6 and need to turn it off,

As for QOS, you don't understand it's function, you need to use it to limit bandwidth per device so that if something decides to run cloud, onedrive, dropbox, sync or any other bandwidth hoarder, that there is bandwidth left for other devices.... So a good place to start since you have 100/10 service is set it so no device can use more than 50/5. or 75/7  And yes speedtests on device will be limited to that rate.

You also should copy and paste the modems signal level and error log pages, don't reset it, need to see real history, whoever you talked to on the phone won't tell you the truth... lotsa marginal issues being hidden.

[ Edited ]

After reading some of the post here on the forums, it may be a problem with this device and how it sends and receives from Tier stations in my area. So I may have to get another provider after all since exchanging for another emta may or may not help since it's going to be under the same conditions as this device, however I'll chance it by going with an exchange to see if that corrects the problem? Oh and by the way if there was going to be a problem with ipv6 and phone service, why is it activated in the first place?  

You really don't have to treat people like they don't anything ok. 

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

These forums are peer-to-peer, staffed by other customers like yourself.  Please don't blame us when we tell you that IPv6 doesn't work well on EMTA modems - We aren't TWC or Spectrum employees, nor did we engineer your existing cablesystem.  This problem was discovered while forum members investigating complaints about internet service expressed by other users. 

Not all models of EMTA modem provided by TWC-Spectrum exhibit that behavior, and not all subscribers require both IPv6 and EMTA service.  The issue can be remedied by using one modem with EMTA for the phone service and a second modem supporting only the internet service with IPv6 enabled.  The tradeoff is that a 2-way splitter is required to feed two modems, resulting in an additional 4 dB signal loss in both US and DS directions. 

MsRaye advised that you as the user do not have access to modem parameter settings to reconfigure outside the addressing scheme that TWC-Spectrum prescribes on their private network.  You need to set your router to acquire DHCP, DNS server addresses, and other network operating parameters directly from the cable modem.  I'm not familiar with the "Tier stations in my area" that you referred to.  The EMTA modem has one IP address for VoIP and a separate one for internet data; the signals are routed separately through the data network.

Expert

There is no 100/20 service available, It's 100/10 and a 59/9 measurement makes sense.  Spectrum turned off the speed test boxes at the TWC RDC's and measured speeds are now eratic and slower than previously measured. That's a good thing as they need to get speeds up to at least 80% of what customers pay for.

maybe not all models but this is one of them that does have problems.
Original message i wasn't asking for a password to access the arris there is no password to access it. I already read statements on this device through other forums and a pdf.
Yes, I know the arris is able to just connect to a router and you'll receive dhcp, dns as usual but not so in this case there is issues with communicating through it properly. There isn't much you can tell me that I already found out.

If you're going by my original post, those numbers were of when I had a chat online with support and showed those numbers along with touchstone status that i could see also. So i calculated them into sqm and set up cake qdisc and piece of cake and ran the beta.speedtest.net receiving 89 mbps 9mbps but when turned off those numbers went down a great deal to that of 59/9 with highest upload ping I've seen on lan connection as if i was using satellite or tether cell phone anyways, we all know spectrum has some major issues and if they fix them they'll be were twc was when they were in a law suit. I've been around in technology for a while now just now dealing with cable broadband and they have such a great deal to fix if you ask me. No need to respond I'm not coming back. there is nothing here useful for me that i haven't already learned since I last posted here and I should have deleted in the first place.
Take care, 99_freeman
Highlighted
Established Sharer

Well, thanks for visiting and we're glad you learned something.  Many forum readers share their knowledge with visitors, and with your experience you would be welcome to join them.