Rookie

Another Speed Thread

Hey Guys & Gals,

Figured I'd reach out here for thoughts and opionions.  I live in a single family residence in a  large city in Southern California (Corona, CA 92879) and I'm having some issues getting the maxium speed possible and hoping someone here can shed some tips.   I'm subscribed to the Ultimate Tier which is 400Mbps in our area and I'm using the Arris SB6190 Modem and testing ethernet directly to the modem.

Last year the Ultimate Tier was 300Mbps and I was frequently seeing 340Mbps (40 over) which was awesome.  Then after having a huge home automation system installed including a new home run connection for my cable and enterprise switches and routers (Ubiquity) I noticed that I was only getting about 180-220Mbps out of the 300Mbps Tier I was on.    Now that Spectrum upgraded my area to 400Mbps and Im still seeing 180-220Mbps so about half of what I was subscribed to I realized it was time to investigate.

First step I did was checked the signal status on the modem page and after seeing that I was at -12.5 dBmV I called Spectrum and had a technicition out the next day.  We located a few poor connections by the home automation company and also a few really crappy splitters being used.  The tech laughed and said that this was definitely a big issue with poor signal.   I had + 12 dBmV outside my house and -12.5 dBmV at my modem on a home run connection.  He removed some unneeded splitters and replaced the crappy ones with ones he said are 20x better.   My downstream signals are now 2.60 dBmV with 40.37 dB SNR, techniction said it was virtually a perfect signal and we did a quick speed test and I saw 340Mbps and sent him on his way.

Now when I was on the 300 Tier I was getting 340Mbps and now that Im on the 400 Tier with my signal issues resolved, Im still only getting 340Mbps and somehow am under the impression Im loosing up to 100Mbps somewhere (Because in the past I always got over my limit, not under)

Here are the current signals from my Arris SB6190 Modem...

Downstream: https://i.imgur.com/5fDADil.png

Upstream: https://i.imgur.com/sZiMTeB.png

I'm testing multiple servers at multiple times of the day on Speedtest.net and can't seem to get past 345Mbps and can't figure out why.  I am testing with ethernet directly to the modem to rule out an issue with my Ubqituiy hardware.   

Any thoughts?

8 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Another Speed Thread

The inbound and outbound signal levels are in the correct ranges and detected incoming packet errors are minimal.  I'll venture that signal levels are not the cause of your problem. 

I am VERY suspicious of the modem itself.  The Arris SB6190 is designed around Intel's Puma-6 chipset.  It is known to have major performance issues including instability and excessive latency.  This forum has received several complaints about this particular modem working poorly on connections over 100 Mbps, most of which were resolved by changing the modem device.  

If you received this modem from Spectrum, take it back to their local store and exchange it for any other modem on Spectrum's list of equipment that has been verified for 400 Mbps service.  If you bought it from an electronics store, return it for a full warranty refund.  Then consider purchasing any other modem on Spectrum's list of equipment that has been verified for 400 Mbps service. 

Proven Sharer

Are you sure your account is actually provisioned to receive 400 or are you just assuming it should?

I doubt the issue is the 6190. I have it myself and have never, ever had a problem. I have the Spectrum Ultra 400 plan myself and regularly see 475/23 Mbps with signal levels way worse than yours. 

Rookie

I bought the 6190 about 24hrs ago on the advice of Spectrum when they said my 6183 is not good enough to support 400Mbps service (Manufacture says it supports 600Mbps) so the rep told me to go out and buy the 6190 for $120 from Best Buy which I did.    

I'm getting virtually the same speeds on my new 6190 as I did on my 6183 (Before the home automation system went in and botched the signal)

Rookie

Okay after speaking on live chat to "Javeed A" and he confirmed that I am still only provisioned for 300Mbps despite 400Mbps being available.   

He said that the only way to get my modem provisioned for 400Mbps is to cancel my Ultimate Internet plan and downgrade to 100Mbps for 30 days then resubscribe to the Ultimate plan again in order to get the 400Mbps speeds.   

According to him and his lead, there are no workarounds for this and even if I canceled my entire account, I still have to wait 30 days.

Does this sound right to anyone else?

Rookie

Update:  I am now getting up to 435mbps

After the live chat agent said I had to drop to 100Mbps for 30 days then upgrade I called and after being transferred 4 times I got them to reprovision my modem from 300 to 400mbps for a one time fee of $50.

Proven Sharer

Sounds like you're still on a legacy TWC plan.  I was under the impression that if you wanted to make any changes you'd have to switch to a Spectrum plan, which would defintely not take 30 days. When I switched it was immediate.

Regarding the 6183...yes it is technically able to hit 600+ speeds in lab conditions but Spectrum will not provision it for anything over the 300 tier. 

Newcomer

Well my speed always sucked with spectrum using there router and my internet cut out constantly. Then we decided to buy our own router an asus. Bam problem solved. Now on speedtest.net from my cell phone i get close to 500mbs and we have their 400mbs service. So we on average get about 90mbs more then ee are suppose to and our upload is right at 29mbs
Established Sharer

As you read through the many threads involving speeds on this forum, you will regularly see comments that Spectrum overprovisions the modems by about 20% in both directions, in order to improve asynchronous data flow over their cable network.  You aren't getting any special treatment, you are seeing precisely what Spectrum intended. 

If you had issues with your previous rented router and the underlying cause was NOT incoming signal quality, please include the make and model of your former gateway so we can include it in the knowledge base for others.