Rookie

Access denied while trying to reach Costco, Shop, Macys, Ralphs, USPS

We have Spectrum wifi at home. We have laptops, desktops, tablets and iphones. The wifi works well for most sites, most of the time.

Since November, we've been having the weirdest issue.

When using Spectrum wifi to access internet sites (specifically Costco, Macys, Shop, Ralphs, USPS), we are getting an Access Denied error message. The reference number always changes slightly, but we never can get to these websites.

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.costco.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.ca384317.1526329106.6aa0ab4

Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.usps.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.95ce33b8.1526329120.6c243dbd

We can't access these sites using laptops/desktops/tablets or iphones when the wifi is connected. So on my iphone, I disconnect the wifi, and use my cell data bandwidth and I am able to connect, browse, shop, and conduct business.

This has been happening since November 2017 at least. We have not changed the equipment, wiring, furniture setup, etc. We've rebooted the router hundreds of times, factory reset, etc. We've also obtained new laptops, borrowed friends laptops, and it all seems to be the same. When using Spectrum wifi, we can't get to specific sites.

So, frustrated, when this happens to us, I will find the nearest cell phone, turn the personal hotspot on, and change the wifi connection on my laptop/desktop/tablet to my phone's hotspot credentials and I am able to connect to Costco, browse Costco and shop/checkout at Costco.com .... using my laptop .... but bypassing Spectrum wifi altogether.

The instant I change my laptop's settings back to our home Spectrum wifi, I can't access these sites any longer.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

1 REPLY
Established Sharer

Re: Access denied while trying to reach Costco, Shop, Macys, Ralphs, USPS

I'm located in the Great Lakes/ Midwest area, and I just successfully clicked on the links you provided for Costco and USPS. 

Three quick questions for you if you continue having this problem:

1)  When was the last time you cleared your computer's internet browser cache? 

2)  What IP addresses do you have loaded in your router for your DNS server?  HINT: Your answer should be the Spectrum DNS at 209.18.47.61 and 62

3)  What is your ZIP code?  If your answer to #2 was Spectrum, your ZIP code can tell us which Spectrum DNS location needs attention.