Rookie

ARRIS DG860P2 unable to connect via WIFI

Turned in ARRIS 860 modem with new purchased DG860P2 router. New modem/router works fine if devise is HARD WIRED but unable to connect WIFI devices (phone, laptop, desk top) to router. I have reset modem several times. SSID displays on devices but when I attempt to connect, get error message "UNABLE TO CONNECT".  So WIFI signal seems to be ok but modem/router not allowing a connection. I even turned off wifi password but till won't connect. Any thoughts? What can I check? It seems, at some level, that WIFI is working since external device (modem, laptop, desktop) can see SSID but router not allowing WIFI connection

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: ARRIS DG860P2 unable to connect via WIFI

security type wrong, or you used the same ssid as the old one... Change it

set dhcp start at 192.168.0.100 and allow 25-50 id's make sure dhcp lease is a day not an hour

If allowed make sure 2.4 and 5.8 gHz radios have different SSID's as well.

Rookie

The FACTORY DEFAULTS should be working but just in case, I even removed all security / encription just to see if that made a difference.

Even the default SSID (name on sticker) did not make a difference. If I change to custom SSID value, the new name will show up on any wifi device attempting to connect. So, to some extent, the router/wifi is partially working since remote devices can see the router SSID.

I will check out the DHCP issue, anything is worth giving a try. 

i wish the remote device would be more clear why it can not connect. Does these routers have an error log which will provide more information why a device is unable to connect? Maybe if we found out why it was not connection then we are one step closer to fixing the problem.

I am afraid there is something defective about the modem but it is odd that it is partially working. 

Established Sharer

Have you tried rebooting your wifi devices in order for their network settings to sync correctly?

Expert

delete the old SSID-device from your phone, delete the new one, as well then do a search& see if it works... The 860 is in NAT mode, correct?

Highlighted
Established Sharer

And of course your wish for better diagnostics requires a new WiFi feature called "mind-reading."   It goes something like this: 

When no remote device is connected over WiFi,  how does the WiFi know if some device might be trying to connect?  What error code or diagnostic message should be displayed in that situation?

Follow MsRaye's suggestion:  Don't reuse your previous WiFi SSID or password.  By the way, on a multi-radio WiFi, one easy way to make the SSID different between bands is to start with the same name for both, then append "-5G" for the 5 GHz band ID.

Expert

karlbeckman wrote:

Don't reuse your previous WiFi SSID or password.  By the way, on a multi-radio WiFi, one easy way to make the SSID different between bands is to start with the same name for both, then append "-5G" for the 5 GHz band ID.

That is very true.... some devices are getting "confused" by the same name on multiple bands especially with the auto log in "remember password" turned on This was an issue with several single ssid devices, I can't remember their MFG, think they were Belkin wireless routerss....