Newcomer

ARRIS DG1670 wired connections not working

I have the Arris DG1670 which has built in wifi.  I called in a few hours ago to remove the wifi feature to save $5 a month since bought my own wifi device I wanted to hard wire to the modem.  When I called in the rep confirmed that she took off the wifi so I would save $5 a month and still have the wired internet connection capabilities.  However, I know don't have any internet at all, even after talking with support for a long time and various troubleshooting.  The lights on the modem (the top 3) are lit saying it is connected, but I can't get any internet connect from my devices (I have tried 4).  Currently the resolution is to have a tech come out Thursday. Wondering if anyone had any thoughts before the tech came out. Thanks! Mike
18 REPLIES
Expert

Re: ARRIS DG1670 wired connections not working

what did you buy and connect?

Is it a full router or just an AP?

Newcomer

Thanks for the reply.

It's a full router (Google Wifi) but I never connected anything.  Nothing was changed with the connections and it is the same modem I've had for some time.  It's very odd as when I call in they can see (as I do on my app) that the modem is in a connected status.  The ports on the back just don't seem to work anymore.  

Expert

Need a model number, you haven't told me anything... how is it configured, AP or full NAT router?

do you own the 1670?

Newcomer

Hi MsRaye-

Thanks for the prompt reply. I apologize if I'm not understanding this right but the router I bought is: Model: NLS-1304-25 1

The 1670 they put in for us when we signed up for service two years ago. We used to pay for a modem lease but now it's included of course. Do I need to connect a router to the modem and then plug my wired connections into that to get internet?
Helper

The router should be connected to the modem, then all wired and wireless devices connected to the router. The only thing connected to the modem is the router.  I would make sure this is how you  are connected, then reboot the modem and router.

Newcomer

Hey reds....

Ahhh

This is why then. I thought I could still use those inputs in the back. That makes sense. I'll have to return that google wifi device I bought as it only has one input. Any suggestions for a good one?

Thanks!
Highlighted
Expert

You told spectrum you were installing your own router and they turned off the wireless radio as well as turned off nat and put it in bridged mode.

That was a mistake as the device you bought only does wireless routing.

3 choices; Call TWC back and have them turn NAT back on so the other 3 ethernet ports work

Put a real wired router between the 2 devices to give you ethernet ports back.

Buy wifi to ethernet adapters for all wired devices to use the google wireless routing.

In the first 2 scenarios you may lose routing between wired and wireless devices, like shared printers and security cameras

Helper

You don't necessarily have to return the Google Wifi. I hear they are really good for wireless devices and give pretty good wifi coverage. You could either get a traditional gigabit router with multiple LAN ports or get a gigabit switch to connect to the one LAN port on the Google Wifi base, then connect your wired devices to the switch.

If you get a traditional router, get one with gigabit ports and has multiple antenna for max coverage. I assume that's why you got the Google Wifi in the first place, to maximize your wifi coverage perhaps a large or multi-story house?

Expert

read my 1st solution:

wireless off is seperate from NAT/ Bridged selection.Spectrum turned both off, they shoulda only turned off the wireless.. not the NAT which made this into a single port non routed device.