Rookie

300/20 Internet drops 10-20+ times a day pretty much everyday and has for months now.

I've had this issue on/off for many years, but this is the longest and most consistent it's ever been. It usually starts in the morning between 9am - 10am  and persists throughout the day and into the evening. Oddly enough it hasn't dropped yet today, but that might have something to do with many neighbors being out of the house for the 3 day weekend.

I have TWC 300/20 internet service only and i'm in a 1960's build area of Grand Terrace, CA. Everything is on poles, no underground. TWC cable ends at eaves of house, has a ground wire and TWC provided splice connector, which I've also replaced. I have no splitters. 
I ran a new 25' quad-shielded RG6 cable from the splice connector (this past week) and then directly into my Netgear CM600 cable modem. Which is my 3rd test modem and they all do the same thing.
The rest of my hardware is likely unimportant because it drops connections with or without anything connected to it, but I do have a Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10 (current firmware) router connected, with half a dozen wired and wireless devices using the router.

I have noticed one thing that seems to help. My modem always defaults to a starting frequency of 663000000 Hz. When it's running best it's on 657000000 or lower. When the line gets bad I force the modem to 657 and it runs fine for awhile. Once it's dropping connection again, I notice it's back on the 663 setting.

Here is the current status.

Here is a sample of the event log.

7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: 300/20 Internet drops 10-20+ times a day pretty much everyday and has for months now.

You have some sort of coaxial issue causing correctables and uncorrectables and possibly broadcast TV and 4G cellular ingress.

Can also be a misconfigured modem, odd that only the first 16 channels are showing correcteds.

Rookie

Re: 300/20 Internet drops 10-20+ times a day pretty much everyday and has for months now.

There is only 1 thing that has changed at my house. Not sure if it would make a difference or not. I've only noticed these constant issues since SCE installed their smart meter. It sits a few feet directly beneath the cable splice point that's under the eaves of my house.

I've had random daily drops and line issues ever since. 

Established Sharer

My money is on the smart meter's rf transmitter causing the pain.
Expert

Maybe not your smart meter... but a bunch of them in the neighborhood trashing channels, most likely neighbors on the same tapoff . TWC/Spectrum neds to clean up /replace all the grounding blocks and connectors... If they're not shiny, they're suspect. 

Who's the meter Mfg? Itron?

Rookie

Meter is an OpenWay by Itron.

Expert

cover it with a "bucket" of aluminum foil, see if the drops get better or worst.

Established Sharer

Also call your electric utility and state public utilities commission.  Notify them that their newly installed Smart Meter is causing interference to your cable and internet services.  If you push them they may agree to disable the internal 2.4 GHz data transceiver. 

I also see that you recently downloaded an update for your Netgear Genie control panel and possibly also for your CM600 modem.  Netgear made several changes in Genie that changed the information displayed by various cable modems and data routers in their product line.