Lead Moderator

Re: 3 straight days waking up with no internet

I am sorry you have had so much trouble. I was able to locate your account. The problem

with the signal levels seems to be only with that modem. Checking all of your other

equipment I am seeing low ping times, no uncorrectables on the remote boxes and MTA., your phone modem has been online 23 days.  The DVR is showing errors in the logs. Are the modem and this DVR sharing a connection?  At this time are you having problems with the other services? Poor voice quality, poor picture quality or is this problem only with the Internet? 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Rookie

Yes the DVR would have to be on the same connection as the modem. And no not currently, the phones are working correctly and so is the cable, but I've had problems in the past of the cable freezing for minutes at a time and I've even lost channels completely. But are you inferring the modem is bad? Would you recommend going and buying one and swapping it out to see if that's the problem before the tech comes out tomorrow and I get charged?
Expert

First issue is that the modem is on a 4 way splitter, It should be on a 2 wy with the second port split 2 or 3 ways for the cable boxes.

Everything is new looking, any idea what the pole looks like?

When this is out, look at the cable box/dvr levels... hold ion the select button for 10 seconds then hit the up arrow. The IB rx level s/b similar to your modem DS level and the OOB tx the same as your modem US level

If all device levels are changing, it's their connections outside and not your modem.

Lead Moderator

There may be a problem with the modem, there is also an issue with communication with the DVR. There are some  uncorrectables reported by that device. I suspect there is something down the line from those 2 pieces of equipment that is contributing, if not outright causing, the modem to be offline. 

I am not inferring that the modem is bad, that is however a possibility. If you are in the market for a new modem it certainly would not hurt to purchase that now and have it ready when the technician arrives. If that is something you would rather not do until it is determined to be the issue you should hold off on that. 

Please let us know how the appointment goes!

Regards,
Julia R.

Rookie

This is the results of holding down the select button then the up arrow, http://www.imgur.com/ce0aMEU the numbers in the red were all fluctuating. And I was at Walmart today so I picked up a new modem to test out and it also didn't work so would that not rule out it being the modem? Thanks for all the help @Julia_R
Lead Moderator

I would agree that if the new modem is not resolving the issue it more than likely is not the old modem at fault either. Once the tech is there they will be able to investigate further.

Please let us know how it goes!

Regards,
Julia R.

Highlighted
Expert

Those s/n's are low as well.. Levels are in range though

Is that a 4 tuner dvr?   When pics are good do the levels and s/n get a lot higher?

This needs TWC out

Established Sharer

@Julia_R

Since this customer has an MTA modem leased from TWC,  I don't think your suggestion to buy a different modem is valid.  The replacement should be provided free of charge by TWC.

Rookie

Well the technician arrived this afternoon and after outlying the problems I've been having and the solutions given in this thread he had the issue fixed in about a half hour. He changed the 4 way splitter in the basement and added an amplifier and also replaced a bad coax line going to the modem from that splitter. Here are pictures of what equipment he added, http://www.imgur.com/a/7sWJn I would like to thank those of you in this thread that helped me in the process of getting this problem narrowed down and fixed. Much appreciated!
Expert

The amplifier is improperly installed, it does not have a terminating resistor on the modem port. Another tech that doesn't have a clue... the voip/ modem port is an internal 3.5 dB loss 2 way splitter in front of the amp and is used to feed a MTA modem with batter backup in case of a local power failure, it won't help you if youremta modem doesn't have a battery or on a long run time ups.

What are your current modem levels?

with the use of the 6-2 tapoff as a 2 dB attenuator , I'll guess all levels are now 5 dB better on both up and downstream, however there won't be a difference in the s/n of more than 1 dB