Observer
waazupee

2 Arris Routers

Does anyone know if there is a way to connect two arris routers up at the same time? My house has cement walls and the signal I'm getting upstairs is very poor (5 mbps for a 30 mbps router) Most of the time I cannot even connect. Downstairs I'm getting full 30-35mbps speeds. The time warner cable technician said to get another box and put it upstairs. The nice customer service lady went ahead and gave me a second box but said it more then likely won't work unless you pay for a second service. I hooked it up last night and all the correct lights are lit on the router but I can't get all the way through the setup process. Any help would be great, thanks.
Please use plain text.
Wordsmith
MsRaye

Re: 2 Arris Routers

NO and YES....

You'de have to pay for a second internet service for a second modem to work.

But, what you can do is run a cat 5 cable from a LAN port on the modem you're paying for to the WAN port of the "remote" one. They must be on different channels and several ch's apart, like more than 5 as the HS overlaps

You should give them different names and possibly assign the second ones LANS addy's 10 192.168.2.xxx rather than the main ones 192.168.1.xxx addy's.

You can also try setting the second one to DHCP assignment passthru and all local IP's will be assigned by the  router at the cable box.

Keep the same security passphrase in both tokeep your sanity, lol.

Please use plain text.
Observer
waazupee

Excellent and Thank You! I will try that and repost feedback.
Please use plain text.
Wordsmith
MsRaye

I was in a hurry, had to get to a service call at the cable co's headend.

It should read: Use a cat 5 cable to connec a LAN port onthe ROUTER that is working(paid for) to the WAN port of the router/ modem in the low signal area. I think it would be better if you use the main router to asign all the addresses as well as do the game ports unless it's one that has limited ports or ranges and you need too many.

However, unless the game server allows multiple users at the same WAN ip addy, you can only have one device play the same game at a time

to do 2, you'de need seperate cable modems as TWC won't supply more than one addy per account.

Please use plain text.
TWC Employee
JoeF_TWC

waazupee,

The suggestion from MsRaye is good, but there is one flaw: our Arris modems don't have WAN ethernet port, so you can't use one modem to extend the range of another. For this setup to work, you'll need to purchase a wireless network extender for the upstairs. Unfortunately that's not something we carry. The sales people at your local electronics store should be able to help you find a model that fits your needs and your budget.

-Joe

Please use plain text.
Wordsmith
MsRaye

OOPPSie, didn't realize he had "all in ones" Don't they only allow 10 lan IP addresses devices total? doesn't matter if they're wired or wireless. If that's the case, it would be better to have the two each assign seperate addy's.

Other option would be to use a DD-WRT device configured as a wireless repeater, it does cut the speed in half as it can't simultaneously transmit and receive in repeat mode.

Your other option on many standalone routers is that you can restrict the top end speed to 1/2 or 1/4. When you do so, you improve the s/n ratio often enough to cover a larger area. It should also not be shoved in with a lot of equipment . 2.4 and 5ghz get attenuated/ absorbed by wood and even some plastics

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dlsayremn

[ Edited ]

Don't know if this would work with the Arris modems, but worked for me running a Netgear DSL all-in-one modem off a Belkin router that didn't have wireless.

Connecting two soho routers in a network

Tutorial from Johnwill from the Networking Forum at TechGuy.org

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

Just an additional note;

If they are charging you for the second Arris, might be better to buy a cheap new or used wireless router and return the second Arris.

Please use plain text.
Wordsmith
MsRaye

I like that better! Be sure to turn off the AP isolation(access point when isolated can't communicate with the lan port, only the wan.

The only issue may be that on an all in one (modem/router/wireless) unit, the cable company can turn off the entire unit.

I know the above will work with the 2 wire AT&T dsl modems with no dsl line connected

Please use plain text.
Observer
waazupee

Thanks to all of you for your help, im not much of a network person so alot of this stuff you guys suggested I had to read up on. So here's what I ended up doing, I centered the arris modem in the house, ran a cat5 to the desktop, both xbox (one downstairs one up, and ran a cat5 to my old verizon wireless wifi router to the wan port. I actually didn't have to change any settings it worked right away, so now that router takes care of the wifi upstairs and the arris downstairs. I also put a netgear hub in upstairs to split off to the xbox, router and a extra cat5 in case I want to hardwire my laptop for fast downloads. Everything is working but is there any suggestions to that setup?
Please use plain text.
Wordsmith
MsRaye

If it's not broke, don't fix it. There are some high power wireless router/ access points but they end up with a lot of signal outside your house which is not good.

Please use plain text.