Observer

Why are some shows unavailabe to DVR

Saving hope, for one, is one of my favorite shows. I am pretty sure I used to DVR it tonight I missed almost the beginning and I wanted to record it and bingo I get a message this is not available on DVR.Listen I pay a lot of money for this service and even more because I bought the six DVR version. I pay you guys planted every month. Why should I not be able to watch DVR programs I want to and if that I can view on TV. Is there a reason perhaps that it was unavailable maybe because it was on live TV but I've been able to record live TV before. Is it because it's on ion TV? If it's a political issue I would hope that you can work this out otherwise maybe you can reduce my monthly fee even more.
7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Why are some shows unavailabe to DVR

Copyright holders flagged them as "do not record" Cable co has no control over them, sorry.

Buy a VHS recorder...

Helper

MsRaye wrote:

Copyright holders flagged them as "do not record" Cable co has no control over them, sorry.

Buy a VHS recorder...

The problem with VHS recordings,

In addition to VCR's being dated, you cannot record content through HDMI cable on an HD set.  You must use Component Cables to record shows.

Most content is allowed to record to your cable company box's DVR via Copy Once.  What was the error message that your DVR showed when you tried to record the show?  If your guide showed a number in parenthesis, please indicate that as well.

Note that Video on Demand Shows can not be recorded.  What is the make and model of your cable box.

Satch

Observer

My box is hooked up by component wires. I went back last night and tried again for next weeks' show and it said it is scheduled. So go figure. Doesn't mean it will actually happen but I used to record that show in the past.  Too many regulations far as I am concerned.  Hoperully it will work next week, but who knows. Thanks for your answeres. I still don't think that should be the way it is!! How does that hurt a company if people who already get their station dvr their program? After all it is impossible these days to even copy a copywrited program these days, so what is the big problem?

Expert

[ Edited ]

The owners can make them play only once or bypass the FF so you have to watch commercials.

As for external recorders, there's interfaces that convert down to composite video and audio so you can feed them into the a/v inputs as long as "macrovision" is not turned on. And of course macrovision strippers are also made. 

There is the slim possibility that without a HDMI connection, the DVR will not let you play certain movies as the paranoia may think that you're trying to copy them thru the composite or component ports... They can tell on HDMI what tv you're using as well as block specific mfg's... sad but HDCP at it's worst.

Lead Moderator

It sounds to me like there was a glitch with the DVR.  To my knowledge there are no restrictions on this program. There may have been a communication issue with the guide or with the network. Please let us know if you have problems with this in the future. 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Highlighted
Observer

I'll see if it works as I was able to set it up for next week. You might be right about a glitch happening. Thanks
Helper

itasara wrote:
I'll see if it works as I was able to set it up for next week. You might be right about a glitch happening. Thanks

Additionally,

You can always check On Demand for that one episode that didn't record.

Satch