Observer

When does a TW subscriber actually become a Spectrum customer?

[ Edited ]

Bulk customers who were legacy TW customers were switched to the all digital format

today in some buildings in Lincoln...and those who had standard TV lost channels like

Comedy Central, TCM, MTV, VHI (etc.)...but at the same time told they need to pay $11.95 for an additional STB because they're still considered TW customers.......it's a hot mess in Lincoln, many boxes not working properly as the transition to all digital continues this month....

4 REPLIES
Spectrum Employee

Re: When does a TW subscriber actually become a Spectrum customer?

[ Edited ]

it gets confusing with bulk rate accounts...

The topic title's short answer is: you become a SPECTRUM customer when you switch your service codes over from L-TWC (Legacy TWC), L-BHN, or L-Charter into the new SPP (Spectrum Pricing and Packaging) service codes

a simplified explanation of service codes: (if you're curious...)

Spoiler

Service codes are foundation of every account, it tells what equipment is supposed to do what, what channels you have access to, what internet speed, phone features, and more but most importantly perhaps, some (not all) service codes have a $/month rate attribute to them.  Those service codes that do have have monthly rates (such as 60x5 internet provisioning) add up.

Service codes can be discounted from "rate card" (aka. full price) with "campaign" package deals & discount promotions, and taxes and fees will be added on by regulators and broadcasters which in the end gets all combined together to give the customer's bill (MRR + tax).

Spoiler
One more detailed explanation I've used is to say if the service codes were ice cubes, those ice cube go in ice cube trays (called "occurences") and those get placed on shelves (called "MAC addresses" of the equipment being used).  For example, an eMTA AWG Modem (i.e.: TC8717T) would have 3 MAC addresses, one is the HFC MAC (coax), one is the AWG MAC (WiFi access point), and one the eMTA MAC (phone jacks).  Service codes for the level of internet data service would go on a data occurence to be assigned to the HFC MAC, service codes for WiFi data service for the AWG MAC, and service codes for telephone service on the eMTA MAC. Just as one example.  There are also service codes telling a box whether it should act as a DVR or STB, whether MoCA should be enabled, etc. etc. etc.

It can get complicated and one of the goals of SPP was to unify and simplify the service codes across every market area in Charter so it'd be easier to train and less likely for errors where different service codes are used for different areas.  In that at least, SPP is a very GOOD thing for employees and customers alike.

The "how" is perhaps equally important.  

Spoiler
This typically is being done when customers seek to rebundle their services to save money, and it's initiated by the customer.  In some cases it not only lowers their monthly rate but can even add on some premium channels and get newer rental equipment too (modems, DVRs, STBs, etc).  It can be done by a EZ Store Pick-up (self install option), EZ Mail-Out (another self install option), or professional install
Spoiler
where your old boxes and modems get upgraded to with a tech install (typically for a $35 or $50 one-time-charge, regardless of how many boxes that is.  SPP is flat rates, whereas TWC charged by the # of outlets beyond the first few).

Where Bulk Rate accounts get confusing is you can have a half-SPP and half-Legacy service coded account.

One of the most common forms of bulk rate (there's more than one type of contract) is essentially to where your landlord goes into a contract with a provider (in this case Charter, or maybe an older contract with TWC or whatever) to where the landlord pays a reduced monthly rate per unit (based on a threshold quantity of units).  The landlord can turn around and sell that service to tennants as "basic cable channels included!" or "WiFi internet included!" or some other perk to encourage people to come live there and pay rent.  The landlord keeps the profit (and it's usually quite a bit depending on the landlord) for themselves, and the service provider (like Charter/Spectrum) gains some profit too (but the main goal is guaranteed subscribers).  Everyone wins, in theory.

There's a bulk rate account created for that contract deal, which expires after so many years & months.  That's contract is for the "master"/"primary" account.

Each tennant who does something else above & beyond what the master account includes (i.e.: a DVR, faster internet, etc) will be a "sub" account tied in to that address and billed to that specific unit #.

So why does it get messy & confusing when saying if your Spectrum or Legacy-something then?

Well what if let's say you have a sub account for yourself that had internet and your landlord's bulk account only provided cable.  Your account would still keep old legacy codes for your cable because that's what your landlord included, and you could have SPP codes for internet.  And until your landlord's contracted bulk account switches to SPP you might be stuck with legacy service codes for cable.  And yes, there are differences in what channels are included in what "tier" in many areas from L-TWC/L-Charter/L-BHN versus SPP.

So you see, if it's a bulk rate (which is what I suspect you're asking about here), it's a question you might have to ask your landlord about (and they might not know and would have to ask Charter/Spectrum).

If you want more specific answers, I would strongly encourage you PM one of the forum moderators with your account # and zipcode so they can take a look and point you in the right direction.  I myself wouldn't have the answers, although I hope my explanations make enough sense to help people in the community here.

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Observer

Thanks for the information-very interesting stuff....

Now, bulk customers in a 55+ housing complex are being told they have to now establish an account with Spectrum (even if they just have basic cable) in order to get the STB which will be necessary to receive programming on August 1.....Spectrum initially said they would come to the complex and due installs at no charge, but apparently that was not accurate...people have asked for STB's to be mailed to them, but Spectrum seems to be reluctant to do that...

Contributor

What about a L-TWC customer who does not initiate any form of account change? At some point will they be forced to "upgrade"?

Established Sharer

twcsa4jim wrote:

What about a L-TWC customer who does not initiate any form of account change? At some point will they be forced to "upgrade"?

Assuming you aren't talking about bulk or other special account types but just the normal residential customer account...if you don't initiate ANY type of change on your account you will remain on your legacy TWC plan for now. Once you make a change you will be migrated to a Spectrum plan. I also fully expect all remaining grandfathered legacy customers to be migrated to Spectrum plans at some point in the future, but that could be years down the road. 

As an example of this...a friend of mine had Nextel when they were bought by Sprint. They kept their grandfathered Nextel plan for years until finally having to switch to a Sprint plan when teir phone broke and had to be replaced.