Highlighted

Turning off Cable Boxes and Router for extended time

I am planning to go away for a few weeks during the summer and am wondering if I should unplug my cable boxes and wireless router.  Somebody told me that if you do that, the cable company disconnects your service and you have to have them restore it on return.  That sounds like a bit of a nuisance and I'm afraid of losing my current service because I've been grandfathered in to receive certain channels that new customers have to pay extra for.  I am a bit worried about leaving everything plugged in because the cable boxes and router get hot and I'd hate for a fire to start when I'm away.  Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.  

10 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Turning off Cable Boxes and Router for extended time

Big deal on power, you save maybe 10-15  cents a day for 2 cable boxes and a modem

Seasoned Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm smiling with your response on that one MsRaye. Cable boxes especially the DVR's have long been considered energy hogs in the home especially if the house is using 3+ boxes as  many  do today.  As I recall though many of the modems and routers are much worse. I believe many of the Motorola/Arris combo routers were rated as the worst offenders.  Even when the cable boxes aren't in use they consume power. Plus with people in these forums saying Spectrum is leasing the cheapest and often outdated equipment probably it cost customers even more. Personally I never turn cable boxes off  because I like to see the time or turn on a TV quickly. I believe TWC developed some power -save functions for the boxes that were once available in the settings menu.

Established Sharer

Achilles77 wrote:

I'm smiling with your response on that one MsRaye. Cable boxes especially the DVR's have long been considered energy hogs in the home especially if the house is using 3+ boxes as  many  do today.  As I recall though many of the modems and routers are much worse. I believe many of the Motorola/Arris combo routers were rated as the worst offenders.  Even when the cable boxes aren't in use they consume power. Plus with people in these forums saying Spectrum is leasing the cheapest and often outdated equipment probably it cost customers even more. Personally I never turn cable boxes off  because I like to see the time or turn on a TV quickly. I believe TWC developed some power -save functions for the boxes that were once available in the settings menu.

Being an energy hog is all relative. Yes cable boxes use energy, and use about the same whether they are on or off, but the big increases people see in their energy usage is due more to the televisions being on more than the boxes themselves. The average box uses $2 to $3 of energy a month.

I must not have been clear in my question.  I am NOT concerned about the electricity being used or the price of it.  I don't pay for electricity because it is included in my rent.  

I am concerned about the equipment overheating and causing a fire if I am away for an extended period of time.  What I fear is that if I unplug everything for a few weeks the cable company might turn off my service.  Do they do that?  

This is my final attempt at getting the question answered.  

Community Manager

@Frances1

Thanks for the question.  Your account will remain active as long as the bill is paid.  For a modem, if the power and coax cable is removed, the diagnostics will recognize that there is not equipment connected.   After an extended time, the equipment may need to be re-provisioned to the account, but the account will remain active.  If you are going to be away more than 4 weeks, then you may want to consider a seasonal disconnect.  Otherwise, unplugging the power but leaving the coax cable connected will ensure the equipment is still recognized and you will just need to plug it back in when you return.  Hope this answers your question.  If not, please let us know.  

James M.
Spectrum Social Media Customer Care
Forums Community Manager

Thank you, James M.!  Finally someone knew what I was talking about!  I appreciate your response.  

One more thing, James M. Will the tv service have to be reprovisioned if I unplug the cable boxes? Thank you.
Lead Moderator

Hi,

You can actually take care of that if need through the MyTWC application, or 

give us a call! 

You may need to re-activate the equipment. Does not take much time. 

Hope you have a lovely trip! 

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

That re-activation allows them to update both your set-top box and internet modem when the devices have been off the network for a while.  That way you'll get the most recent TV channel lineup, viewer guide information, and modem performance patches.