Sharer

Re: No NBC HD station for Time-Warner New England?

funarmadillo wrote:

Just continued silence from Time Warner Cable about the lack of a major network (NBC)  in HD while continuing to change its customers ridiculous a la carte bills while not improving the product.  When Channel 7 Boston, our previous NBC high def channel lost its network after the New Year, nothing has happened to replace it.   I cannot wait for the demise of cable!  

Blame NBC, and not TWC / Charter for not carrying the Low Power NBC Owned and Operated Station that is now the Boston affiliate for NBC Programming.

Every provider needs a carriage agreement to carry an OTA Station.  Spectrum apparently doesn't have one (to carry that new NBC channel).

I'd normally recommend a rooftop antenna, but from what I read, even that won't help many receive this station.

I really don't care, it's up to Time Warner to figure out a way to provide a major network like NBC in high definition.  If the Super Bowl was on NBC, the uproar would have been higher. Having no communication at all to customers about this issue is a travesty!  Like they are working on the issue.

Sharer

[ Edited ]

funarmadillo wrote:

I really don't care, it's up to Time Warner to figure out a way to provide a major network like NBC in high definition.  If the Super Bowl was on NBC, the uproar would have been higher. Having no communication at all to customers about this issue is a travesty!  Like they are working on the issue.

They (TWC) cannot provide a signal (NBC High Definition) that they do not have permission to carry.

They cannot pipe in an out-of-market station in HD; they don't have the rights.

They cannot simply put up an antenna and re-transmit the OTA signal; they don't have the rights.

I am sure that TWC WANTS to provide NBC in HD, but I am sure that Comcast / NBCU is holding them hostage, probably forcing them to take additional channels in order to get NBC in an all-or-nothing deal.

Or maybe in order to add the O&O NBC Station, they'll have to cancel their current arrangements for other NBCU Stations (NBCSN, msnbc, cnbc, SyFy, etc.) and end up having to take a worse deal.

We just don't know.  And the answer is not that simple.

Are you in the Boston Market proper?  Or are you in an outlaying area where WHDH is considered a "significantly viewed station"?

No longer an issue.  Channel 5 WHHD of Burlington Vermont is now coming in on HD representing NBC network.  This is channel 10 on our Cable network here in the White Mountains of NH.

Observer

funarmadillo wrote:

No longer an issue.  Channel 5 WHHD of Burlington Vermont is now coming in on HD representing NBC network.  This is channel 10 on our Cable network here in the White Mountains of NH.

It is WNNE, there is no such channel as WHHD.  But yes, it looks like someone finally worked this out, so that is great news finally.