Highlighted

Different commercials in same house!

I sometimes watch tv on my iPad when I am busy in the kitchen, while the tv in the living room is also tuned in to the exact same channel.  When the commercial breaks come up I see that there are different commercials for each connection.  One set of commercials comes up on the tv while a different set come up on the iPad.  Weird.  

On the old TWC app, when I used to watch NY1, that station always showed a different borough than the one I live in (I live in Manhattan, but my iPad connection thought I lived in Queens).  I wonder if there is something wrong with the way my cable service was set up.  

3 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Different commercials in same house!

Frances1 wrote:

I sometimes watch tv on my iPad when I am busy in the kitchen, while the tv in the living room is also tuned in to the exact same channel.  When the commercial breaks come up I see that there are different commercials for each connection.  One set of commercials comes up on the tv while a different set come up on the iPad.  Weird.  

On the old TWC app, when I used to watch NY1, that station always showed a different borough than the one I live in (I live in Manhattan, but my iPad connection thought I lived in Queens).  I wonder if there is something wrong with the way my cable service was set up.  

The progamming and the commercials on the television are linear.  It is safe to say that everyone in your 'hood is getting the same commercial.

The programming on your iPad is IPTV.  This allows super-serving of commercials based on your viewing habits / trackers built in to the app.  Your web history might result in a targeted ad.

There is nothing wrong with your setup...

Thank you!

Expert

You will probably only see the same commercials on local channels, The internet vs coaxial cable are from 2 seperate sources and it's unknown if the local commercial drop in slots are synchronized. As for viewing habbits, all the SDV, PPV, MOD channels have the capability of recording what you watch and when. Only the DTA bottom tiers can't since the DTA's are one way receive only devices (that spectrum is getting rid of and replacing with 2 way boxes, lol.)

Yes, they get money reporting viewing habbits