jbadge110

DVR freezes up, the TV goes black first five minutes of any recorded show

Has anyone out there had this problem...we record A FAVORITE SHOW...only to go and play it back on our DVR and can only watch the first five minutes of it because the DVR freezes up, the television screen goes black. We cannot fast forward past that point.  Pausing the playback does nothing either........PLEASE HELP!  We had a TWC technician out here to replace the DVR ( I lost all of my favorite shows!)  thinking that the replacement of the DVR would help!  OMG!  NOPE!  We are still having the same problem.......so we called TWC technical assistance.  The Tech said that she wanted to erase all of my shows that I have recorded since we got the new box on Saturday....OMG!  We told her that the box is new.  There is hardly nothing on it! PLEASE HELP US!!!!

Background information:  We received the new box on Saturday.  It was installed by a TWC technician.  The box has stopped on us everyday since the new installation when we playback any show on NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX.  Today is Wednesday. 

The old box was stopping on us like this....we thought that the replacement would solve the problem.  NOPE! We think that there maybe a firmware/software problem. 

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Satch

Re: DVR freezes up, the TV goes black first five minutes of any recorded show

jbadge110 wrote:

Has anyone out there had this problem...we record A FAVORITE SHOW...only to go and play it back on our DVR and can only watch the first five minutes of it because the DVR freezes up, the television screen goes black. We cannot fast forward past that point.  Pausing the playback does nothing either........PLEASE HELP!  We had a TWC technician out here to replace the DVR ( I lost all of my favorite shows!)  thinking that the replacement of the DVR would help!  OMG!  NOPE!  We are still having the same problem.......so we called TWC technical assistance.  The Tech said that she wanted to erase all of my shows that I have recorded since we got the new box on Saturday....OMG!  We told her that the box is new.  There is hardly nothing on it! PLEASE HELP US!!!!

Background information:  We received the new box on Saturday.  It was installed by a TWC technician.  The box has stopped on us everyday since the new installation when we playback any show on NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX.  Today is Wednesday. 

The old box was stopping on us like this....we thought that the replacement would solve the problem.  NOPE! We think that there maybe a firmware/software problem. 

Many times,

Techs will just swap out the box and leave.  A major source of no picture, pixciated picture/sound, stuttering, freezing is often NOT box related at all, but can be related to your cable lines inside the home and outside the home.  Weathering, aging, animal chews will cause all the symptoms of the problems you described above.

The first thing to do is to call TWC and request "level 3 tech support" for an unresolved issue.  Than explain to them that you need a tech out to check ALL of your inside and outside signals and wiring leading from the  drop line to the cables in back of your TV.  Request that your drop-line be replaced.  You may also need to replace the existing cable in back of the TV.  It is often helpful to make a list of the channels that freeze and stutter the most and show that list to the tech when he comes.  A new box swap WILL NOT solve a bad cable or signal, wiring issue from either inside or outside the home.

Also, on your existing cable connection to your TV and equipment, DO NOT USE ANY SPLITTERS!  They will reduce your signal levels by 50% or more, causing all types of signal issues.  I assume you have an HDTV.  Get your signals tested, your drop-line replaced and remove any splitters from your equipment.

This sounds like a signal/line/cable/wiring problem.  These issues should always be checked and replaced first before any box swaps are done.

Satch

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
MsRaye

Re: DVR freezes up, the TV goes black first five minutes of any recorded show

you should be able to go to the signal page at 192.168.100.1 and see what the rx signal level is on your modem it should be in the -10 to +10 dBm range.... there shouldn't be anyy unterminated splitter ports, only using 3 ports on an 8 way is bad

Cable needs to be RG6 not RG59

Connections & outside grounding block should be shiny, not green, lol.

All splitters must be 5-1000 mhz (5-1200, 5-2000 are good)  10-400 are junk..

on your cable box & probably dvr, there is an rx level reading.

Anything below -15 is trouble at -25 nothings going to work.

Please use plain text.