Valued Contributor

Re: ClearQAM local channels - Los Angeles using the internet cable

...and make certain that any OTA connections are not inadvertently tied into the cable system as to cause a horrendous ingress problem and re-radiating the RF on the cable system...

Spectrum Employee

johnnybegoode wrote:
I read about Clear QAM here:
http://avc.com/2012/02/clearqam-what-it-is-and-why-it-matters/
Its an old article and I'm not sure if it still works.

If you're internet only, there is going to be a filter on your cable line that will prevent any TV channels from coming through the line. However, with a good antennae, the OTA channels you can receive will usually come through in even better quality than through cable.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Sharer

johnnybegoode wrote:

I want the already free OTA local channels  (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX) and not basic cable channels.

I have an antenna (Winegard FlatWave Amped FL5500A 50 miles), but I have to move it around and I suspect that the tuner in my TV is not that good.

That antenna is crap.  That thing looks like that "ClearTV" antenna I see on infomercials.  Get a better antenna, preferably an outdoor roof antenna.

Established Sharer

[ Edited ]

johnnybegoode wrote:
from: http://avc.com/2012/02/clearqam-what-it-is-and-why-it-matters/

"There are millions of homes and apartments around the country that have a TV connected to a cable but have no set-top box and NO video service from their local cable provider. "

"Because of a number of rules and regulations, cable televesion companies are required to provide access to the broadcast channels in the clear – thus the name ClearQAM."

Cable companies are permitted to encrypt all of the programming they purchase and transport on their closed networks to their paying subscribers.  The information source you repetitively quote and link to is almost five years old and was highly speculative when it was written, probbably as part of an investment prospectus.  Shortly after it was widely distributed via electronic media, the FCC reacted just as your source predicted and rescinded the grandfathering clauses in the former 'must carry clear' grandfathering rules.  You might have heard there's no such thing as a free lunch; there's also no longer a free local carry clear requirement.

Expert

"clear Qam" has nothing to do with local channels or free anything.

nothing is "free" on cable either...

You are paying for a cable tv connection and whatever they decide to put on it....

Must carry  laws no longer exist, local communities can no longer dictate local franchise terms and it's pushed from local to state control.