ClearQAM local channels - Los Angeles using the internet cable

[ Edited ]

Hi,

1) Is ClearQAM available in Los Angeles?
2) Can I use a splitter SV-2G (5/1000MHz 3.5dB) to split my Spectrum internet services (to Modem/Router and TV)? If not, which splitter do you suggest?
3) Which input of the TV should I select (TV-Air or Cable)?

Thank you!

14 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: ClearQAM local channels - Los Angeles using the internet cable

To be clear...you're an internet-only customer asking if you can just hook up your tv to the incoming line and get services that you don't pay for? 

To everyone upset that cable companies force you to rent a box...this is exactly why.

Expert

Nope,  #1

Nope, #2

#3,  all that will happen is your internet levels will get 3.5 dB worst. There's no cable tv coming into your house if you're internet only, lol

I want the already free OTA local channels  (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX) and not basic cable channels.

I have an antenna (Winegard FlatWave Amped FL5500A 50 miles), but I have to move it around and I suspect that the tuner in my TV is not that good.

I read about Clear QAM here:

http://avc.com/2012/02/clearqam-what-it-is-and-why-it-matters/

Its an old article and I'm not sure if it still works.

Sharer

Same answer applies. Just because a local station is free OTA doesn't mean this or any other cable company has to provide it to you for free over their system.  If you don't want to pay for a basic level tv package get a better antenna, perhaps a rooftop antenna. 

Expert

THERE IS NO FREE OTA CHANNELS ON CABLE, THEYT ARE ONLY FREE ON AN OUTSIDE ANTENNA.

enter your zipcode into www.tvfool.com to determin what antenna you need and in what direction most are.

If green shaded you're in luck, anything else reqquires a skilled a/v tewch to make work

I read about Clear QAM here:
http://avc.com/2012/02/clearqam-what-it-is-and-why-it-matters/
Its an old article and I'm not sure if it still works.
Sharer

Everyone connecting their cable directly to their tv due to clear qam still subscribed to some level of tv service, they just didn't need a set top box. 

from: http://avc.com/2012/02/clearqam-what-it-is-and-why-it-matters/

"There are millions of homes and apartments around the country that have a TV connected to a cable but have no set-top box and NO video service from their local cable provider. "

"Because of a number of rules and regulations, cable televesion companies are required to provide access to the broadcast channels in the clear – thus the name ClearQAM."
Highlighted
Expert

none of that is true anymore.

The "must carry " rules are long gone.   Why do you suppose Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC are able to block their feeds into cable and sattelite subscribers sets?

any and all of local communities franchise agreements are null and void and replaced by statewide rules and also monopolies since "it's the states right" to regulate the airwaves"

NC and AL are the worst with TX comming in 3rd for cjhallenging federal statutes.

There may be millions of homes but probably next to  none in the major cities where cable theft is an issue.

There is no longer direct connect s"cable ready" service on 90% of twc's, we have maybe 20 channels left here in Cleveland and that number decreases evey couple months.

If you'r'e not paying for tv service, you're not going to get it.