Newcomer

tired of being forced to support ESPN, DISNEY as part of "basic cable"

When will you change channel choices so I dpn't have to support ESPN, Disney and TLC as basic channel lineup? I'm tired of supporting these left wing groups. Seriuosly going to cut the cable altogether

1 REPLY
Highlighted
Sharer

Re: tired of being forced to support ESPN, DISNEY as part of "basic cable"

Rodd wrote:

When will you change channel choices so I dpn't have to support ESPN, Disney and TLC as basic channel lineup? I'm tired of supporting these left wing groups. Seriuosly going to cut the cable altogether

Politics has nothing to do with it.  Disney (and all other media groups) will only sell their pay TV (and even some OTA) offerings as all or nothing to operators.  It's how they ensure they receive cash flow.

ABC-Disney TV owns all of or part of the following networks:

Disney Channel (and all the subs)

ESPN (and all the flavors)

ABC Television Stations (The owned and operated ones, typically in large markets like NY, LA, Chi, SF, Hou)

A&E

Freeform

Cable operators cannot pick and choose - although they'd like to.   The carriage agreement typically reads that all these channels must be in the "standard" tier, while the ABC O&O's will most certainly be in the "basic" tier.   (Basic here is for the bare-bones local TV package your system must offer).

If you don't want ESPN, and the cost it imposes on you, you will need to cancel your video serivce and go OTA with an antenna, or at least downgrade to "Basic"  (The $20 / mo pacakge, which is really $27, but that's another story), and choose an Over-the-Top solition, such as SlingTV, or suppliment your local content with Netflix and/or Amazon Prime...

I read on stop the cap dot com that Philo TV will be rolling out a Sports-hater over-the-top TV package for $20 / mo.