Rookie

local channels

I have a cable ready HDTV. Until recently I was able to receive my local channels even though I don't pay for cable TV. Will I be able to do so once again after you complete your move to all digital programming?

6 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: local channels

@Vegnorwrote:

I have a cable ready HDTV. Until recently I was able to receive my local channels even though I don't pay for cable TV. Will I be able to do so once again after you complete your move to all digital programming?

Why should you be able to receive something you do not pay for?  Are you an internet only subscriber?

Video signals, if not already, will be encrypted, and you will need to pay for video service and rent equipment (there are some other options) in order to view any video programming.

If you want your locals for free, use an antenna.

Rookie

Gee, thanks. It's not like I'm asking for premium channels. Why should they charge for something that has been free forever?

Yes I am an internet only subscriber. 

Guess I'm just old school.  Just wanted to know before I did the old school thing and bought an antenna.

Proven Sharer

You were able to access locals because TWC didn't encrypt the signals and didn't have internet only filters installed on your line. Now that most every major cable company is encrypting their signals you would need a set top box or a cable card device (or a streaming only plan) to receive those local channels without an antenna.

Established Sharer

@Vegnorwrote:

Gee, thanks. It's not like I'm asking for premium channels. Why should they charge for something that has been free forever?

Yes I am an internet only subscriber. 

Guess I'm just old school.  Just wanted to know before I did the old school thing and bought an antenna.

Well, those broadcast TV networks are actually demanding a king's ransom in retransmission fees.   The average nationwide retransmission fee is $1 / mo per channel.  It's gotten so bad that Spectrum has broken out the charge and itemized it as the "BroadcastTV surcharge".  15 years ago, these fees didn't exist.

Check out this FCC report of the cost of pay television, in particular Table 10.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-1166A1.pdf

It's free - if you use an antenna.  It's not free if you subscribe to cable.  I have no sympathy for these television stations who want to charge me and other cable subscribers for content they give away for free to those who use an antenna.  I only have StarterTV (the locals), and my cost is $23.89 + $8.85 per month, not including sales tax, franchise fees, and equipment rentals.  (It was $13.15 / month 15 years ago, no equipment required.)  I cannot use an antenna - too low in the valley.

There are MANY subscribers who benefitted from unencrypted analog / Clear QAM signals being fed down the pipe.  Not any more.

Make sure to terminate all your unused cable-drops in your home with 75-ohm resistors to prevent ingress and reflections (and a degraded internet experience).

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Hi,

Back in 1992, when laws were passed to allow cable regulation, it became permissible for cable stations on basic and standard tiers to charge providers for their content, which had previously been provided OTA for free.

The rate increases have now gotten completely out of control for all the cable, dish, and U-Verse providers.  Now, with the move to all-digital technology and to prevent cable theft, a rented cable box will soon be required.  Tuning adaptors and cable cards have gotten increasingly more unreliable. If you want, true free, you have to go OTA and get an antenna.

Satch

Established Sharer

What you called free, others call theft of Cable TV service.  You were knowingly taking cable TV video content for an extended period of time without paying for it.