Highlighted
Rookie

free basic cable via intenet modem?

I have a friend who has lived in 2 different locations and claims he gets free Time Warner basic cable by using a splitter at his internet modem (also time warner obviously) and going to his TV. He didn't sound clear on how it worked but claimed he got quite a few channels that I know aren't OTA channels. Any thoughts? I could experiment ...

Everyone's Tags (3)
7 REPLIES
Expert

Re: free basic cable via intenet modem?

yes but it's somewhat illegal, besides, all the cable companies are going  100% digital

Helper

Two possiblities, they never disconnected physically the previous customero OR sometimes apt buildings do a contract for basic service, First being not so good, second being just fine.

Helper

MRS even when they go 100% digital, Modern televisions will do all ATSC cable clear qam, the tuners are built in. Only Switched Digital channels will not be available, they can only get away with using SDV, on low usage channels, else the bandwidth requriement goes past what Standard clear channel Qam signal would use.
Expert

ATSC is not qam  Later digital sets that do ATSC often also do Clear Qam

Problem is that here in Ohio, the only clear qam is the fewer than 30 "starter TV" channels, that I receive at better quality than from on cable. Everything else is encrypted qam or Sw digital.

The 3 local gov channels are also in the starter tv tier

Expert

in some area's, the cable companies install internet only filters that trap out all the unencrypted video channels, however, they are getting away from them because they have no record of who has what and end up running numerous service calls to internet customers that have lost connectivity when they add qam data channels that are trapped out.

Bottom line is that there's little to no market for the starter tv tier because over the air ATSC digital tv put's cable to shame.

Helper

Pricey too.
Helper

Okay, MRS SCTE Qam. = P