Newcomer

billing: Sportsprograming surcharge

Can anyone tell me what the "sports programing surcharge is for? I never watch those channels and really i dislike paying for them.

2 REPLIES
Helper

Re: billing: Sportsprograming surcharge

It is for the regional and local sports networks you receive as a part of your package. You can always switch to a package that doesn't include them (Spectrum Choice perhaps). 

I dislike having to pay for a package that includes Lifetime, E!, Mtv, QVC, OWN, etc. just because I do want sports networks.

Proven Sharer

Re: billing: Sportsprograming surcharge

@eltavwrote:

Can anyone tell me what the "sports programing surcharge is for? I never watch those channels and really i dislike paying for them.

The "Broadcast TV Surcharge" is charged to everyone who subscribes to a linear video package from Spectrum.  You cannot avoid this fee.  The one work around is possibly subscribing to the streaming Spectrum Choice, as previously mentioned, which gives you local channels plus 10 others to choose from.

The "Sports Programming Surcharge" is charged to everyone who gets a Regional Sports Network (RSN) in their package.  This is applied to Spectrum Select and above.  The only way to avoid this charge is to subscribe to Mi Plan Latino (which doesn't include RSN's, but does have many English PayTV Networks on it).  WIth Mi Plan Latino you can add Digi Tier 1 and Digi Tier 2.  You may also avoid this fee by going with the Spectrum Choice Streaming plan, since that plan does not offer RSN's as a selection.

While you may save some money, I am not sure every consumer will be happy with the resulting channel selection.

And to add to red's comment, I wish I wouldn't need to pay my local broadcast stations for programming they essentially give away for free to those who use an antenna...