Rookie

You will get less channels now with Starter TV Service

What is being promoted as a digital upgrade is not just that.

Spectrum will be scrambling their TV service signal so you will need a receiver box to de-scramble their signal. No longer will you be able to connect cable directly to your TV if you are paying for the lower end services such as Basic Service or Starter TV.

If you are paying for Starter TV Service you will get less channels when you connect the now required receiver box.

With Starter TV Service I used to receive channels such as AMC, FOX News Channel, MSNBC and others.  I no longer can receive these and other channels with the receiver box.

I guess Spectrum assumes I should be a happy customer paying the same price now for less service.

13 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: You will get less channels now with Starter TV Service

@mishmanwrote:

Spectrum will be scrambling their TV service signal so you will need a receiver box to de-scramble their signal. No longer will you be able to connect cable directly to your TV if you are paying for the lower end services such as Basic Service or Starter TV.

If you are paying for Starter TV Service you will get less channels when you connect the now required receiver box.

With Starter TV Service I used to receive channels such as AMC, FOX News Channel, MSNBC and others.  I no longer can receive these and other channels with the receiver box.

I guess Spectrum assumes I should be a happy customer paying the same price now for less service.

Hello,

Due to the advanced in digital technology, all of the TV vendors are moving to a required converter to get TV channels.  This is also being done to reduce cable theft, due to unauthorized descramblers.

Satch

Rookie

What does that have to do with getting less channels for the same price?
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@mamasuzywrote:
What does that have to do with getting less channels for the same price?

Well,

That would be a question that only Spectrum could answer.  There were some channels from Viacom that were moved from Spectrum Gold, (The highest priced package) down to Spectrum Select.  Best guess is that the channel broadcasters want more money with new deal contracts, and the TV vendors can't afford to put some of the channels on the lowest tiers anymore.  Station owners want more distribution of the channels.

It sounds like more people take Spectrum Select than Spectrum Starter, so they move channels from Spectrum Starter to Spectrum Select for a more broadband distribution.  Increased rates are also due to inflation.  Spectrum claims that the Silver Package is most popular.  Gold is everything plus all the movie channels.  Digital Packs one and two combined will give you all the channels in gold, except for the premiums.

What other services do you have from Spectrum, such as phone or Internet?

Satch

Spectrum Employee

I would definitely recommend checking your existing channel lineup at https://www.spectrum.com/cable-tv.html

The channels you specified (Fox News, AMC, MSNBC) are all on Standard TV with old TWC services. If you only subscribed to Starter TV, then you weren't actually subscribed to those channels. You were watching channels you didn't actually subscribe to.

Rookie

I have always subscribed (paid) for Starter TV service (and legacy TWC service equivalent) and have always received the channels I previously mentioned.

I was not receiving channels that I shouldn't have been receiving and I have the old channel guides to prove it.

There were many channels that I could not previously receive and I understood that those channels were only available through the higher service tiers.

Other than the basic over the air broadcast stations, the only cable stations I watch are AMC, FOX News and MSNBC. I could care less about the other stations.

I am not interested in handing over my phone and internet service to Spectrum.

Spectrum has changed the channel line-up availability on their TV service, and specifically what is now available on Starter TV. Guess this follows the business plan of the needs of the many outway the needs of the few. And yes, it means I am getting less product but paying the same price and eventually more because Specrum continues to increase their prices and eventually I will have to pay a monthly fee for the "free" receiver box.

Paying nearly $500 a year to watch a few TV channels is in my opinion an expense I can live without.

Proven Sharer

@mishmanwrote:

There are/were customers who were getting the entire standard analog lineup and any clear QAM digital channels for the price of StarterTV (or for free if they were internet only customers) because the proper RF filter traps were not (or could not be without causing other problems) installed on their drop.  By encrypting every video signal, the need for RF traps is eliminated, and every customer receives the channels their package currently contains.  Starter TV was $13.15 per month for me when I started.  It is now $23.89 + $8.85 Broadcast TV surchage + equipment fees.  Programming has gotten expensive.  I still have my legacy TWC StarterTV package, and ESPN and FX as part of my StarterTV Lineup (even after the digital switch), but I will lose them if I migrate to Spectrum StarterTV.

On that note, I believe AMC, Fox News Channel, and msnbc were not likely a part of the StarterTV (~$12 / month) lineup.  If you have a lineup card that indicates such, please share...  What is your zip code?

Rookie

My zip code is 14304 and I pay $34 per month  for my TV service ($23 for TV service plus taxes and fees).

Sling TV at $20 per month (no add'l taxes and fees) is looking like a better option at this point compared to what I pay now and get.

Boz
Sharer

mishman, why WOULDN'T you switch to Sling's $20 package, if it includes everything you need/want, and if the loss of local channels in yout TV service won't bother you?

That way, you would be completely free of Spectrum, since you said you don't use Spectrum for internet or home phone anyway.

I'm just wondering...

Proven Sharer

@mishmanwrote:

My zip code is 14304 and I pay $34 per month  for my TV service ($23 for TV service plus taxes and fees).

Sling TV at $20 per month (no add'l taxes and fees) is looking like a better option at this point compared to what I pay now and get.

If you can use an antenna for the OTA channels, then I'd cancel.  I am not as lucky as you, and live down on a valley...  So I need cable TV for OTA reception...

You'd just need some Rokus to watch SlingTV, and I beleive they have some good deals on them (aka - Free Roku if you pre-pay for 3 months...)