Observer

Why is the Cooking Channel a Premium Channel?

The Food Network, which is not a premium channel, is the parent company of The Cooking Channel, which IS a premium channel. Why is the Cooking Channel considered a premium channel carrying an extra monthly fee, when its parent network is included in basic programming? Both channels are food focused with often similar programming, so what makes The Cooking Channel worthy of charging an additional monthly fee?

7 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Why is the Cooking Channel a Premium Channel?

@plaguemistresswrote:

The Food Network, which is not a premium channel, is the parent company of The Cooking Channel, which IS a premium channel. Why is the Cooking Channel considered a premium channel carrying an extra monthly fee, when its parent network is included in basic programming? Both channels are food focused with often similar programming, so what makes The Cooking Channel worthy of charging an additional monthly fee?

Greetings,

A premium channel is often a movie channel without commercials or ads, such as HBO or Cinemax.  Cooking Channel does not fall into that category.  If you are on a TWC legacy plan, you should have it as a part of Digital Variety Pass or Preferred TV.  Spectrum Plans carry it on the Silver Package.

Reason for carriage as to why Cooking channel is in a higher package, sub channels often cost more for programing content, so they are on some of the higher tiers.  You can't get any more TWC deals if you are on Spectrum billing.  But you can add the Spectrum Silver Plan to your package to get Cooking Channel and several other good stations.  Several Premium Movie Channels are also in this plan.  The Silver Plan is very popular.

Satch

Established Sharer

The Cooking Channel is not a premium channel.  A premium channel is one that can be purchased a-la-carte after a subscription to the Starter / Broadcast Basic Tier.  HBO, Showtime, TMC, Cinemanx, Starz, StarzEncore, Playboy, etc. fall into the category of "premium channels".

Channels are sold one of three ways:

1.  On the Starter / Broadcast Basic Tier.

2.  As a premium channel (a-la-carte)

3.  As a tier buy-through.

You MUST subscribe to the Starter Tier / Broadcast Basic Tier before adding any other video service (Over-the-top services are not sold as 'channels', but as IPTV;  it's different).

Then you can add as many #2's and #3's as you want.

The majority of channels are sold via #3.  And the cable company and content owner must agree on what tier each channel will be sold on.  In addition, sonsumers are subject to "tier-buy-through", where you will need to pay for every tier in order to get channels on the "last" tier.  (Think like a pyramid.  To get the channel that is at the top of the pyramid, you have to buy all the blocks below it.)

I assume the Cooking Channel is on Digi-Tier #1 or Digi-Tier #2.  Spectrum and the owner of the station had to agree to this arrangement.  I am certain that each side has subscription numbers to back up their decision / agreement.

You can read this article about tiers and how they affect the way you purchase subscriptions to video programming:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/consumer-options-selecting-cable-channels-and-tier-buy-through-prohibition

Participant

@plaguemistresswrote:

As others have already stated, The Cooking Channel  is NOT a premium channel.

Can you provide a link to where you see, in your words, "the Cooking Channel considered a premium channel carrying an extra monthly fee"?

Maybe we can then figure out what's going on in your situation.

Thanks!

Observer

Well, I did read several messages on another thread that stated it was a premium channel, although they were referencing Cox and Xfinity. I assumed it was the same with Spectrum because I receive a screen that says "To receive this channel, please call customer care at 1-844-865-9782." Why would I need to call customer service to receive a channel that's not a premium?

@Boz1wrote:

@plaguemistresswrote:

As others have already stated, The Cooking Channel  is NOT a premium channel.

Can you provide a link to where you see, in your words, "the Cooking Channel considered a premium channel carrying an extra monthly fee"?

Maybe we can then figure out what's going on in your situation.

Thanks!

Observer

Thank you for that information. So if it's on a higher tier, my bill will still increase, I assume. I guess I just don't understand why it even is considered a higher tier channel. I do appreciate your reply!

@Satchwrote:

@plaguemistresswrote:

Greetings,

A premium channel is often a movie channel without commercials or ads, such as HBO or Cinemax.  Cooking Channel does not fall into that category.  If you are on a TWC legacy plan, you should have it as a part of Digital Variety Pass or Preferred TV.  Spectrum Plans carry it on the Silver Package.

Reason for carriage as to why Cooking channel is in a higher package, sub channels often cost more for programing content, so they are on some of the higher tiers.  You can't get anymore TWC deals if you are on Spectrum billing.  But you can add the Spectrum Silver Plan to your package to get Cooking Channel and several other good stations.  Several Premium Movie Channels are also in this plan.  The Silver Plan is very popular.

Satch

Highlighted
Established Sharer

@plaguemistresswrote:

Thank you for that information. So if it's on a higher tier, my bill will still increase, I assume. I guess I just don't understand why it even is considered a higher tier channel. I do appreciate your reply!

It's simple.  The Cooking Channel is not on the Select TIer.  It is part of Digi Tier #1.  In order to receive The Cooking Channel, you must subscribe to one of either:  1/  Spectrum Select, or 2/  Spectrum Mi Plan Latino, and then add Digi-Tier #1 at an additional cost of $12 per month.  This is a realization of the tier-buy-through requirement.  (Spectrum Mi Plan Latino is really the Select Tier with the sports programming removed and replaced with Spanish Language programming.  It typcically costs less than SPectrum Select, but qualifies you for Digi Tier #1 and Digi Tier #2)

The owners of The Cooking Channel and the management of Spectrum have agreed that The Cooking Channel be part of Digi Tier #1.   It's considered higher-tier programmin becuase the owner and the cable company decided that it is.  I assume each side has the financial figures to back up their decision.  The parties probably agreed that this programming is niche programming, and that only those who want it should pay for it.  Similarly, the other Digi Tier (#2) is heavy on sports, and similarly, the content owners and Spectrum agree that only those who want it should pay for it.

Too bad many other channels do not fall into this category...

Spectrum Employee

because I receive a screen that says "To receive this channel, please call customer care at 1-844-865-9782." Why would I need to call customer service to receive a channel that's not a premium?

Just to clarify from a technical perspective, all this error message being displayed by your cable box means is that you are not authorized for that particular channel you are tuning to (in this case Cooking Channel).  More specifically & briefer: your billing service codes are telling the box to not allow you to decrypt that channel.

It has nothing to do with it being a premium channel or not.  Just simply, not authorized.  You'd call customer service billing to get codes added/removed, which would affect your MRR (monthly bill cost).

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.