Observer

Why is Pittsfield in the New York market?

I live in Pittsfield. Pittsfield is in Massachusetts. I don't live in New York, and I honestly don't care about New York politics or news. So why are they shown in Massachusetts?

3 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Why is Pittsfield in the New York market?

Nightweaver wrote:

I live in Pittsfield. Pittsfield is in Massachusetts. I don't live in New York, and I honestly don't care about New York politics or news. So why are they shown in Massachusetts?

The Pay TV providers do not determine your local market, or Designated Marketing Area.  This is determined by the FCC.  There is a map of DMA's available on wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_market#Television

Berkshire County is closer to Albany, NY, than Springfield, MA.  Therefore your county of residence, along with Bennington County in Vermont are part of Albany, NY's DMA.  Therefore, cable and satelitte offerings will be from Albany NY.   The only way you will receive Massachusettes TV is to use an arial and hope to pick up programming from more eastern portions of the state.

Write and complain to the FCC.   The cable company has no say over this.  Unless an over-the-air channel had "significant" historical viewership in the area, signals cannot be imported from far-away stations in order to protect the local broadcaster.  So even though you get TV from out-of-state, those out-of-state TV stations are closer than in-state TV stations.  Radio / TV Waves do not obey man-made political boundaries.

Expert

When you enter that zip code into TVfool, there are 3,  virtually no local channels, no PBS, and low power translators. The cable co only has to cover the 3 local channels, the rest can come from anywhere else. The broadcasters must agree to them as well.

As for the FCC, it's been stripped of power in the past 8 months....

Highlighted
Sharer

MsRaye wrote:

When you enter that zip code into TVfool, there are 3,  virtually no local channels, no PBS, and low power translators. The cable co only has to cover the 3 local channels, the rest can come from anywhere else. The broadcasters must agree to them as well.

As for the FCC, it's been stripped of power in the past 8 months....

The town is in a bowl.  If you move to the mountaintops, Albany NY TV has LOS.  The translators in the region are fed by the Albany stations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Albany_NY_TV

To that end, the county Pittsfield is in is assigned to the Albany NY DMA.  Signals will come from there, becuase they are closer as the crow flies than signals from any other market.  Netowrks and their affiliates have no plans to pillage each other for viewers.

Call it a back-room deal.  Call it collusion.  Cable systems licensed to Berkshire County, MA will receive TV from Albany, NY.  Satellite DBS with service addresses in Berkshire County will also receive TV from Albany, NY.

And even if the affiliates would pillage each other, I am sure consumers don't want to pay two Broadcast TV surcharges that would be applied to bills as a result of carriage agreements...