Rookie

Tennis Channel 406 - SDV now?

Has Spectrum made Tennis Channel, Channel 406 in Manhattan, an SDV channel since yesterday?   It is reading as "unavailable" but is showing up on the Spectrum App.

I have a Tivo with Cable Card but have not used the Tuning Adapter for years and have never needed it for Tennis Channel.   I am very displeased that Spectrum feels that Tennis Channel, for which I pay extra, does not rate a regular channel setting without the "Switched" problem.  I don't want an overheating, malfunctioning TA.  Please advise!

7 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Tennis Channel 406 - SDV now?

roseha wrote:

Has Spectrum made Tennis Channel, Channel 406 in Manhattan, an SDV channel since yesterday?   It is reading as "unavailable" but is showing up on the Spectrum App.

I have a Tivo with Cable Card but have not used the Tuning Adapter for years and have never needed it for Tennis Channel.   I am very displeased that Spectrum feels that Tennis Channel, for which I pay extra, does not rate a regular channel setting without the "Switched" problem.  I don't want an overheating, malfunctioning TA.  Please advise!

Hello,

I would say just get a Spectrum cable box, and subscribe to whatever package carries Tennis Channel.  TA's are getting so unreliable.  Not all the boxes are great either, but at least if there's an issue, Spectrum can take care of a rented box.  Call or contact customer care with a TA, and they will say, "Oh, we don't support those."

Are you in a legacy TWC market?  Or legacy Charter? 

Satch

Rookie

Hi,

Just to clarify, I have been using Tivo since 2012.    I have 2 at home currently, a Roamio with cable card, and a Bolt for over the air channels.  I have  lifetime subscription for both of the Tivos.  I haven't had a cable box since 2012.

I am in a "legacy" situation, my apartment building has  a bundle discount, so I currently pay $125 or so a month for cable and internet (no HBO or other premiums).  I have a "Variety Pass" which includes Tennis Channel and some other sports channels I never watch.   This is all part of a TWC legacy rate.    Mysteriously, my next bill reads as $119 but I don't know if this has to do with the Tennis Channel situation.

However if I were to go back to cable boxes my Tivo could not receive cable and I would also have to pay $10 or so for the box.  I don't think this would make sense for one channel.  However I do not understand how Spectrum decides which channels should be "switched" and which should not.  I would speak to them on the phone but their phones have been down since yesterday.  

Yet another reason for people to leave Spectrum I'm afraid.  At least I can watch Tennis Channel over Youtube TV.  Thanks though

Proven Sharer

I'm a fellow TiVo user and will go back to using the standard issue cable box kicking and screaming the entire way. Have you tried using the tuner adapter recently? I know they are a PITA but eventually all channels could very well be put on SDV as more and more bandwidth is set aside for internet. 

ALso, moving a channel to SDV would very unlikely have a price impact on your bill.

Expert

other than the local broadcast channels in the bottom tier, all the rest are going SDV to conserve bandwidth.

If you're having connectivity issues, You've  probably got too many splitters in line.

The TA should be in line with the Tivo not on a seperate splitter.

Expert

All ch's above 60 are going to be SDV

Established Sharer

roseha wrote:

There is only so much water that can be pump down a pipe.  SDV and IPTV is going to be the future, as bandwidth on the coaxial cable is reallocated to internet services and not linear video services.

As to which channels get relegated to SDV?  I am sure the ratings tell them what they need to know.

Expert

The latest cable boxes and DVR's include a docsis 3 modem for IPTV and cloud based DVR's...

There is no consumer device that includes that and encrypted qam, SDV Qam...

Some modems (mainly docsis 3.1's) are dual wan capable with one for normal internet and the second for IPTV.

Expecting the cable companies to cater to old obsolete devices is an unreasonable request.

You are paying for a Tuning Adapter, and should be using it.