Not applicable

TCM movies copyrighted?

I am unable to tape movies off TCM lately.  When I do, they do not tape, but say copyrighted

on stop.

What's going on?

Have taped for years as I can't stay up 24 hours a day to watch movies.

dickson

7 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: TCM movies copyrighted?

I assume you mean DVR the movies, becuase I cannot see why you shouldn't be able to use your old VCR to record the movies via the 480i SD feeds off the cable box, should it have them...

It's possible that the content owner (Turner) has directed the cable companies they have deals with to change the CCI-byte to "Copy never", which would prevent your DVR from recording them.  It could also be that Spectrum accidentally re-set the bit.

Are the movies you want to watch also available "On-Demand"?

Trusted Helper

@dstoffa wrote:

I assume you mean DVR the movies, becuase I cannot see why you shouldn't be able to use your old VCR to record the movies via the 480i SD feeds off the cable box, should it have them...

It's possible that the content owner (Turner) has directed the cable companies they have deals with to change the CCI-byte to "Copy never", which would prevent your DVR from recording them.  It could also be that Spectrum accidentally re-set the bit.

Are the movies you want to watch also available "On-Demand"?

Yes,

I also assume that the OP means DVR the movies.  When you try to DVR a TCM movie., what happens?  Including any error messages/numbers shown.  Can you post a screen shot?  OP- need your city, state, and zip for reference.

Users and staffers, are you able to record and play back movies that are on the TCM channel through your DVR?

Satch

Not applicable

As soon as recording starts, in about 20 seconds, it
quits. Do a playback, then when it says cannot copy,
copyrighted. Service people were here a few days ago.
I told them about it and they had never heard about it.

Other channels copy ok.
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@dickson wrote:
As soon as recording starts, in about 20 seconds, it
quits. Do a playback, then when it says cannot copy,
copyrighted. Service people were here a few days ago.
I told them about it and they had never heard about it.

Other channels copy ok.

Dickenson,

Still unclear.  Do you ONLY have a DVR rented from Spectrum, or do you have another recording device that you are using to copy programs, such as a DVD Burner?  A Tivo?  An old VCR?  That will make a difference:

If the only thing that you are using is a DVR rented from Spectrum- You should have no problem recording or playing back movies on the DVR.  You can record shows and play them back off your DVR.  Sometimes, I have heard that you cannot record Pay Per View one time events such as boxing, wresting, or concerts to your DVR for copyright reasons,  It is also not possible to record Video on Demand.

If you are trying to record from your DVR, to a Tivo, to a VCR, to a Flash Drive movies or other shows- Than channels reserve the right to block the recording to any third party device.  This means that any device NOT rented from Spectrum used to copy material may not be recorded from the channel.

Satch

Not applicable

I have a DVD player I record from tv.  Have been doing it for years.  Now TCM won't record.

If what you say is true, then I am beginning to wonder whether Spectrum is worth the

high price I pay for it.  Has gone up a great amount from TWC.  Also, with partners DVR

now you can only record 3 programs at once, TWC you could do 6.

I'm in my 80s and am getting tired of all this.

dickson

Trusted Helper

@dickson wrote:

I have a DVD player I record from tv.  Have been doing it for years.  Now TCM won't record.

If what you say is true, then I am beginning to wonder whether Spectrum is worth the

high price I pay for it.  Has gone up a great amount from TWC.  Also, with partners DVR

now you can only record 3 programs at once, TWC you could do 6.

I'm in my 80s and am getting tired of all this.

dickson

Several ideas,

The price probably went up because your promotion ended.  Are you on a  legacy TWC billing plan or a Spectrum billing plan?  What services do you have regarding  Cable TV, Phone, and Internet?  Post your current services, we might be able to give you some ideas to get your billing down.  To be honest, Spectrum billing no longer does the kind of discounts after the yearly promotion expires that TWC did, but our community can certainly look at your package and the services you use and see if you can get a better value.  It sounds like you have DVR service and you should probably keep that.  What other services do you have from Spectrum?

You certainly have the right to switch to another provider, but after 12 months, your promotion will end and you will likely face the same situation that you are in now with Spectrum pricing.  By the way, TCM is going to be copyright encrypted, because Turner Classic Movies is doing that to prevent people from downloading their movies.  If you go with another provider, you will have the same thing with TCM.  Best thing would be to record movies to your Spectrum DVR and watch them when you have time.  Maybe try to get a four-tuner or six-tuner DVR box.  That will give you over 100 hours of HD programing.

Keep in mind that no company DVR is intended to be a permanent storage archive.  I watch everything I have within a month's time and than delete the recordings.

If however, you are just tired of cable and can't afford it anymore, you could get an over the air antenna and something like a Ruku device to subscribe to Netflix, something like Apple TV, or the new You Tube TV.  It's much cheaper than cable TV, and even with an OTA antenna, it's not like when we grew up and only have like 5 channels.  You can get like 35 channels now with just an antenna for free, and one of the streaming services, and get all the TV you want, for a fraction of the cost.

Than, you could for example, if you get an antenna and one of the streaming options you could drop the cable TV part of your bill.  I would keep Spectrum Internet,  I like Spectrum phone myself, in fact love it1  But you may no longer need a landline phone.  We can help with all of this.  You have many options.

Satch

Participant

Technically most tv programs are copyrighted. They allow for us the viewer to copy, but not to then sell that copy. If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you recording(a John Wayne movie, tv series...)? I HDD record all the time, occasionally use my dvd recording as I know at anytime the Technicolor dvr can screw up, & I am out all those recordings yet to watch. I've never had the "copyright infringement
notice go up. However OnDemand will not allow it. Are you going off of that, or direct from the channel TCM?

As for the number you can record at one time, I'm the opposite. With TWC I can only record two at a time. Last year I had to get a new one, which would then be Spectrum. Now I can do 6 at a time. Occassionaly though while recording 3 shows at a time(I've never actually gone higher), one show will not record.