Rookie

Stop hijacking the Power On Channel to send messages

Spectrum, going behind the user and overriding the power on channel to the info channel is incredibly annoying.  I have had to correct this issue multiple times in the recent weeks.  If you need to send particular groups of users information, email them or send letters directly.

11 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Stop hijacking the Power On Channel to send messages

@StevenDwrote:

Spectrum, going behind the user and overriding the power on channel to the info channel is incredibly annoying.  I have had to correct this issue multiple times in the recent weeks.  If you need to send particular groups of users information, email them or send letters directly.

Hi Steven,

Where are you located?  (City, State, and zip?)  As you know the Power Channel can be changed to one of your choosing.  But the over-ride situation is interesting.  I must have a different guide than you, because here in Wisconsin I have never had an issue where the channel reverts back or changes when the box is turned on.  What is the make and model of the box?

Can you provide for us, one or two screenshots of the messages that you are receiving on the box?  This will help us understand the issue.

Satch

Rookie

Hi Satch,

It's not an issue with the cable box itself.  This is deliberate from Spectrum.  Going into settings to reset the Power On Channel gives the message:  "Spectrum has a message they want you to see, so your Power On Channel has been changed."

Essentially, Spectrum is trying to get the message out about all digital tv conversion and the possibility of needing a box by reseting the Power On Channel to their looped information channel and forcing customers to go out of their way to stop getting pestered about it.  The issue is fixable with 90 seconds of delving into settings menus to remember which submenu the Power On Channel selection is located (or going to the difficult to read white text website flashed on the looped channel), but backdoor nagging is a poor choice from a customer service perspective.

image1.jpeg

Trusted Helper

@StevenDwrote:

Hi Satch,

It's not an issue with the cable box itself.  This is deliberate from Spectrum.  Going into settings to reset the Power On Channel gives the message:  "Spectrum has a message they want you to see, so your Power On Channel has been changed."

Essentially, Spectrum is trying to get the message out about all digital tv conversion and the possibility of needing a box by reseting the Power On Channel to their looped information channel and forcing customers to go out of their way to stop getting pestered about it.  The issue is fixable with 90 seconds of delving into settings menus to remember which submenu the Power On Channel selection is located (or going to the difficult to read white text website flashed on the looped channel), but backdoor nagging is a poor choice from a customer service perspective.

image1.jpeg

Steven,

I agree with you that having a message loop like that by changing the power on channel would be annoying.  Hopefully, a mod will see this, and forward your request to the appropriate department to stop this behavior.

Satch

Trusted Helper

Hi Steven,

We need your city, state, and zip code, because it is necessary to know what market is doing this to your power on channel.  Than, once we have that, the mods will forward your request to stop changing the Power On Message.

I rotated the image to make it easier to read and see.

Regards,

Satch

Customer Message From Spectrum (Changing Power on Channel.).jpg

Helper

They have to do everything they can to get customers' attention with major updates like this. Even then we all still see posts here that say "I was never notified!" but never bothered to read the messages or look at comments on their bills.

Trusted Helper

@reds91185wrote:

They have to do everything they can to get customers' attention with major updates like this. Even then we all still see posts here that say "I was never notified!" but never bothered to read the messages or look at comments on their bills.

This is true, Reds,

But in this case, Steven would not even have to worry about the digital conversion because he has a qualifying Spectrum box and guide.  Customers would expect this message for those who did not have athorized Spectrum receivers, like a Tivo for example.  Or am I mising something here?

Satch

Helper

Customers without a box would have no ability to receive on screen messages. Even though a customer may have a box it could be that they have multiple tvs in the house without a box and still need to be notified of the changes.

Rookie

This is from the Columbia, SC 29203 market, but this practice shouldn't be policy anywhere. 

Spectrum may have important information to send out, but the minority of people that will be affected and who ignore messages on their bills or ignore emails will also immediately switch away from the information channel as well.  The policy of hijacking the Power On Channel is not reaching significantly more people while forcing customers to jump through extra hoops to return to the status quo.

Proven Sharer

@reds91185wrote:

Customers without a box would have no ability to receive on screen messages. Even though a customer may have a box it could be that they have multiple tvs in the house without a box and still need to be notified of the changes.

When they did this in my market (Hudson Valley, NY), the sunsetting analog channels simply displayed a static screen which had an image of a DTA on it.  The message on the channel read something to the effect:

"Your television is working.  The programming previosuly available on this channel has been migrated to a digital format.  You will need a Set Top Converter or DTA to continue viewing this programming."

A telephone number was also displayed so you wouldn't need to look at your bill to see who you needed to call.   A simialr message was displayed when I was sent to Northern WIsconsin for an extended stay, when analog channels were sunset there, too.