Newcomer

Scheduling differences between areas

Okay, I admit it.  I'm a fan of Big Brother (CBS Summer show).  It was supposed to be on at 9 PM this evening (Aug 17).  I have residence in the Central NY area as well as Western NY area, thus two Spectrum accounts, etc.

So tonight I want to watch Big Brother and I find ...

Central NY/Syracuse Spectrum schedule = Buffalo at Philadelphis Thursday Night Football

Western NY/Rochester Spectrum schedule = Big Brother.

The REAL problem?  Trying to view live via my PC ... I can get CNY fine.  I can log into WNY but it says I am not at home and disables viewing! Two questions:

1.  How do I reset the away flagging?

2.  What gives with preempting in one area and not another?

5 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Scheduling differences between areas

Move to the house that has the programming you want.Woman LOL

Programming is by It's by where the modem and cable box is  is located, not TV anywhere you are...

Setup a remote desktop if you really want to watch remotely...

Hope you have at least 50/5 service at the remote location. You'll need every bit of the 5 mHz

Highlighted
Sharer

Cobra348 wrote:

Okay, I admit it.  I'm a fan of Big Brother (CBS Summer show).  It was supposed to be on at 9 PM this evening (Aug 17).  I have residence in the Central NY area as well as Western NY area, thus two Spectrum accounts, etc.

So tonight I want to watch Big Brother and I find ...

Central NY/Syracuse Spectrum schedule = Buffalo at Philadelphis Thursday Night Football

Western NY/Rochester Spectrum schedule = Big Brother.

The REAL problem?  Trying to view live via my PC ... I can get CNY fine.  I can log into WNY but it says I am not at home and disables viewing! Two questions:

1.  How do I reset the away flagging?

2.  What gives with preempting in one area and not another?

The Buffalo Bills will sell a syndiacted package of their games to television stations in their markets (the primary market, which is Buffalo proper), and their secondary markets (those markets further away).  This pacakge will consist of all their pre-season games, plus any regular season Monday Night Football games, and regular season Thursday Night Football games.  The NFL mandates that local team games be available over-the-air in a given team's market.

The primary market must show all games - both home and road games.  The secondary markets must show road games, but may also show home games.  Since the Bills were in Philadelphia, this game was required to be shown by the local TV stations who have the Bills syndication package described above.

From your message, it would seem that Syracuse's CBS affiliate bid on the Bills package, and thus had to air the Bills game.  Sure enough,, the following stations carry the Bill's syndicated TV package:

WKBW-TV (ABC) Ch 7 in Buffalo

WHAM-TV (ABC) Ch 13 in Rochester

WTVH-TV (CBS) Ch 5 in Syracuse

WICU-TV (NBC) Ch 12) in Erie, PA

Network programming will be pre-empted for football on these stations when the Bills are playing.   The CBS Station in Syracuse had to show football, as did the ABC station in Rochester, which is why normal CBS programming was available that night in Rochester.

Newcomer

Thanks for the response but I may have not made myself clear ...

CNY residence - cable TV, internet ... and PC

WNY residence - cable only

I can be physically at the PC in the CNY residence and be told when logging into the listings to watch shows that I am away from home.  Er, no I'm not! Smiley Very Happy

So back to the questions ...

1.  Why do I get flagged as away when I am not?

2. How do I remove this flag when it happens or do I call Customer Service?

Thanks!

Newcomer

Ahhh!  Thank you.  That cleared that up!  Smiley Very Happy

Lead Moderator

If are at your residence where you have cabe TV and Internet, provided you are logging in with the profile for that account, and you are on your home network, you should not be seeing that message. Please note recently we did have an issue with our Spectrum TV site and application that indicated to users that they were not at home. If you are still having this issue (It has been resolved) please contact us for direct support.

If you are in your WNY home using your WNY login you will see this because you do not have  1. Internet service with us. OR 2. A wireless gateway device to be used with the service for the Spectrum TV product on devices other than Roku, Xbox One and Samsung TVs  .

If you are using the wrong TWCID at either residence you will get the out of home

message.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums