Rookie

Russian TV Channel

I read an article about the Russian TV channel and how it is owned by the Russian govermment.  Can you tell me why you carry the channel in our channel lineup?   Basically, it's Russian propaganda.  I don't think it offers the same type of reporting as Al Jazeera.

I am alarmed!

Isn't there any forethought that goes into the channel lineup, or as long as you have a paying vendor, anything goes?

There are others I wonder about, but this is the scariest.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have the freedom to view what we want, but I think you're making a statement when you choose to carry some channels.  And not in a good way.

thanks for hearing me out.

4 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: Russian TV Channel

What if I was from Russia and wanted to have this channel? Should I not be able to subscribe because you feel like it is "propaganda" and not worthy of a spot in the lineup? Personally, I feel like a lot of "American" channels are nothing but propaganda but that is not for a content provider to decide for me.

Sharer

kayewoods wrote:

I read an article about the Russian TV channel and how it is owned by the Russian govermment.  Can you tell me why you carry the channel in our channel lineup?   Basically, it's Russian propaganda.  I don't think it offers the same type of reporting as Al Jazeera.

I am alarmed!

Isn't there any forethought that goes into the channel lineup, or as long as you have a paying vendor, anything goes?

There are others I wonder about, but this is the scariest.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have the freedom to view what we want, but I think you're making a statement when you choose to carry some channels.  And not in a good way.

thanks for hearing me out.

I assume you are talking about the RT netowrk (An electronic Pravda)...  Their wikipedia page reads that the RT network PAYS cable companies and Satellite Companies for cairriage (which is opposite of what every other network does...), so in essence their carriage on TWC/Spectrum lowers your cable bill.  I have no idea how much they pay per subscriber, but I am sure that a large portion of the viewing audience doesn't even know this channel exists.

The right to "Freedom of Speech" granted under the US Constitution is not there to protect speech you like.  It's there to protect speech you don't like.   Just don't watch.

Highlighted
Spectrum Employee

Those channels would be there for the same reason any other channel would be there - customers want to see them.

Remember that Spectrum also carries American news networks from all across the political spectrum - including the networks that would refer to RTV as propoganda. Spectrum even carries broadcasts that have commercials that explicitly demean their company and promote their competition - because customers pay to see those broadcasts.

Spectrum as a company would not try to take a political stance on these matters: they're just providing a service to customers.

Expert

NTK out of Japan is pretty bad as well... But like RT, it gives alternat views of what the mainstream media is trying to force down our throats as if Entertainment tonight is really news...