Not applicable

Please STOP inputting/recording “old” episodes as “new.”

Please STOP inputting/recording “old” episodes as “new” episodes because it causes the DVR to keep recording hours and hours of rerun marathons. I’ve had to cancel over 20+ scheduled recordings of one series over a period of two days, just to see that everyday there are 5-10 episodes scheduled to record. I’m so tired of this. It does this with multiple series.

For example, Teen Mom 2 on MTV (my current headache experience). I have checked all my settings and it definitely says “Record NEW episodes only” on my DVR. The problem is, the DVR thinks the old episodes are new episodes for some reason. But in each episode description in the Spectrum Guide, instead of having the real description of the specific episode, they have the generic description of the entire series (so for example, instead of saying that the episode will focus on whatever characters doing whatever things, it’ll just say that the show is about young mothers). Also, the premiere date for all the old reruns is the same date (01/11/11). Why would they be set to record when it says right there that the episode is from 2011?!? I have day after day of 5-10 episode blocks of these reruns being scheduled to record all the time and I want it to stop. It’s aggravating having to do it one-by-one, and the last time I had to do a block of them, it somehow wound up canceling two of the actually new, legitimate episodes I wanted to record. I didn’t even realize it wasn’t recording the new ones anymore until I noticed them being rerun on the channel later on and I had never seen them. TV is supposed to be about enjoying your downtime and not about being annoyed at the overpriced service that monopolized your area and is literally the only provider available to you. Seriously, Time Warner Cable was much more affordable (especially the internet, which btw, is impossible that it’s anywhere near the speed it’s advertised as being and yet costs $35 more a month now than before). I don’t want to become a “cable cutter,” but Spectrum is seriously pushing me in that direction.

In summary, please stop inputting/recording old episodes of shows (such as Teen Mom 2 on MTV) as new unnecessarily, which causes frustration and takes away from the space I need for shows I actually want to watch. The new episodes of the shows are fine - they have the correct premiere date and a real description, so that’s good. It’s just the old reruns that have a problem. For the sake of further illustrating the issue, I just did a search through MTVs line-up and found that the show Ridiculousness does the same thing... To test it out, I just set my DVR to record the series and made sure it said “New episodes only,” then checked my upcoming recordings and sure enough, a bunch of rerun blocks are showing up as set to record and they are all also from 2011 and also only have a generic show description instead of the specific episode description.

I want to stress that there are also reruns of both of the series I mentioned that don’t automatically get recorded erroneously as new, but those reruns have the actual episode description (instead of the generic series description) and they have the actual premiere date instead of all being the same date from 2011, so it must have something to do with how these episodes were entered into Spectrum’s system.

If it matters, I’m in Los Angeles and have two Arris DCX3600-M boxes. Thank you.
3 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Please STOP inputting/recording “old” episodes as “new.”

Here is the underlining problem with this,

Spectrum does not do the guide description listings.  These are the responsibility of a third party called Gracenote. You may have seen that name in the guide listings.  They do the listing data, This may be hard to believe but it has gotten better.  However, there are some listings that are not accurate such as the following:

• Movie listings off by a year or more in some areas of the guide but not others.
  • Episodes being flagged as "New" in the OP's problem that are not "New." for some programs and series.

When the search database goes down due to maintenance, or an upgrade, the listing data is not available. The same is true with On Demand.  To prevent the Time Grid data from going down  too, Gracenote uses backup listing data to try to prevent "No Data" or "Loading Data" from occurring.  The backup data  contains a very generic show description that is stored in the system database until the more descriptive data gets back online and back to the search results.

However, it sounds like the specific show in question has a Gracenote listing error where just about every show is incorrectly being flagged as "New."  Our original poster should check what other shows are doing this as well.  In addition provide his/her zip code and the box make/model number.  Spectrum will need to forward this issue to the program guide listing people at Gracenote so that the database can be updated for the shows in question.

*DVR Tip-  If a series says "New" in the description, than only new episodes should be recorded.   (If "Record New Episodes is selected in Series Manager. )"If it is a syndicated series, that is no longer first run, ALL shows will be recorded unless users have set up series record times or channel filters to assist in recordings.

Satch

Contributor

Re: Please STOP inputting/recording “old” episodes as “new.”

@Satch wrote:

Spectrum does not do the guide description listings.  These are the responsibility of a third party called Gracenote. [/quote]

No, Spectrum does not do the guide description listings.  They contract with Gracenote for these.  But Spectrum supplies the data to their customer and Spectrum is ultimately responsible for the content. 

Similar issure here in the upper midwest with BattleBots.  The DVR is set to record *NEW* episodes, but is recording old episodes (from last year) and missing some of the actual new episodes. 

Come on Spectrum, get your act together. 

Trusted Helper

Inconsistently Incorrect Movie Listing Data/ Flagging "New" Episodes

@ddeerrff wrote:

@Satch wrote:

Spectrum does not do the guide description listings.  These are the responsibility of a third party called Gracenote. [/quote]

No, Spectrum does not do the guide description listings.  They contract with Gracenote for these.  But Spectrum supplies the data to their customer and Spectrum is ultimately responsible for the content. 

Similar issure here in the upper midwest with BattleBots.  The DVR is set to record *NEW* episodes, but is recording old episodes (from last year) and missing some of the actual new episodes. 

Come on Spectrum, get your act together. 

I agree,

Spectrum should not be given a free pass on this one.  There needs to be better communication with regards to the program listing data and how that data is implemented concerning it's download and execution to the boxes.  I have posted about  the movie year data being wrong for some movies by a year in some parts of the guide.  And other movies by more than that.  Some parts of the guide list the movie, "Animal House" made in 2009.  (Correct Year, 1978.)  Some parts of the guide list "Midnight Cowboy" as made in 1975, (Correct year , 1969.)  Than you will have other instances where a movie year will be correct in some parts of the search, but off by a year in other parts of the search.

That's just sloppy data entry and there's no excuse for that.  Especially among entertainment TV and movie purists.  With the Internet and programing today, a simple search should be able to correct this within days.  Not weeks, not months, not years.

I used to know one of the listing editors at Tribune before they became Gracenote, and would report obvious listing error data on the guide to her.  She was great!  Within five business days, data got corrected.  Gracenote doesn't provide that ease of contact for the consumer anymore.

Here in Wisconsin, channel 1 still shows the old TWC Eye for Video on Demand.  It's been a year and a half and Spectrum still has not changed that graphic (Zip is 53045.)  Little errors like that, which should be so easy to fix and are not, reflect badly on both Gracenote and Spectrum.  It makes the data entry people seem thoughtless, careless, or stupid.  Both companies need to work together to correct these small data errors.

Satch