Observer

PPV

if i rent a PPV or a VOD. why can't i record it wich makes no sense to me as with other providers you can record PPV and VOD events. and they don't consider them a qoute on qoute a rental

5 REPLIES
Helper

Re: PPV

I've never been able to record PPV or On Demand content...with Spectrum or any other provider I've ever had in the past (Comcast, Charter, Time Warner, Cox, TCI, AT&T).

Observer

i have been able to record PPV with dish
Trusted Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

if i rent a PPV or a VOD. why can't i record it wich makes no sense to me as with other providers you can record PPV and VOD events. and they don't consider them a qoute on qoute a rental

Good question,

Video on Demand can not be recorded for reasons of copyright issues.  The stations and movie studies are strict about the charges.  One charge per showing.  They don't want people taking a flash drive or something and downloading the movie or event to their computers, or distributing it online.  The reason is because they have to charge for the shows, and the movie and network studio doesn't want people getting their content for nothing.

PPV it is up to the promoter.  I don't PPV, but you are typically allowed two options on my Spectrum Navigator Guide:

• Buy
  • Buy and Record.

My question is, what happens if you try to select Buy and Record?  On a PPV?  VOD cannot be recorded.  PPV is for special events like concerts, MMA, and Championship Boxing.  You SHOULD be able to record PPV.  The cable companies disable the expansion ports on DVR's so that you would not be able to copy the content.

If you get a message that you can't, it is probably because the promoter of the show has set up barriers to prevent recording of the material.

Satch

Observer

when i go onto video on demand and PPV some will let me record the show and some wont let me record the show not matter if it's a paid event or not. i myself don't do vod or ppv to often. but when i had dish i never had a problem with recording an event or a movie. i also never had a problem with recording vod or ppv with directv either. if content providers are so scared about people putting there stuff on flash drives then what makes em think that those people won't go onto illegal sites and try to download the content. no i don't do that either just saying is all. seems like the content providers are really screwing spectrum and it's cusomers over!!!

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Cable is tightly regulated by the individual state Public Utilities Commissions as well as the FCC and the U S court system.  Dish uses satellite program delivery directly from satellites orbiting in space, they don't have physical distrubution equipment within the state which would make them subject to tight state regulation, contracts that have provider restrictions on carriage, and U S court-enforced copyright laws.