Rookie

PBS Being Dropped from Tompkins/Cortland Counties in NY

I heard recently that PBS is being dropped from Tompkins and Cortland counties' line up. I work in Tompkins County but live in Chemung County. PBS is a game changer for me. If it gets dropped from the Elmira-Horseheads line up too, I am dropping Spectrum. Streaming is becoming more and more desireable to me as the rates from Spectrum keep increasing.  I can stream PBS and many other channels on Hulu and other online streaming programs. PBS has been a part of our local area for as long as I remember. I grew up watching Sesame Street and enjoy watching the British productions that are aired on PBS. Currently I'm watching "Victoria" and "Poldark". Previously I watched "Sherlock" and "Downtown Abbey." Please DO NOT removed PBS from your programming in any of the areas in NYS.

4 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: PBS Being Dropped from Tompkins/Cortland Counties in NY

Jeniff61 wrote:

I heard recently that PBS is being dropped from Tompkins and Cortland counties' line up. I work in Tompkins County but live in Chemung County. PBS is a game changer for me. If it gets dropped from the Elmira-Horseheads line up too, I am dropping Spectrum. Streaming is becoming more and more desireable to me as the rates from Spectrum keep increasing.  I can stream PBS and many other channels on Hulu and other online streaming programs. PBS has been a part of our local area for as long as I remember. I grew up watching Sesame Street and enjoy watching the British productions that are aired on PBS. Currently I'm watching "Victoria" and "Poldark". Previously I watched "Sherlock" and "Downtown Abbey." Please DO NOT removed PBS from your programming in any of the areas in NYS.

Good post,

I am not in that area, but PBS has been and continues to be a growing part of family television experiences.  The loss of public funding and even the removal of Sesame Street from PBS to HBO was a game changer and not for the better.

When is the drop supposed to happen?

Satch

Expert

Contact your state AG... PBS was always a "must carry" on local and now state franchises... But with the latest FCC nonsense, who knows....

all local franchises were usurped by the state ones a few years ago.

Valued Participant

It's a complicated situation. Spectrum in that area will continue to carry another PBS station, WCNY. Unfortunately, for the affected station, WSKG, they get  a lot of their viewer funding from Tompkins and Cortland counties. I don't know why  Spectrum won't carry both stations. It doesn't cost them anything since they don't have to pay retransmit fees to a non-profit. I live just north of the affected area and I get 2 PBS stations, and I haven't heard a thing about Spectrum dropping my channels.

Established Sharer

Was one of the PBSstations sold as part of the FCC Spectrum (no pun inteded) Auction?  It's possible that the PBS station in question sold its spectrum to fund its endowment, and is going "off the air" as a stand-alone station.   (WVIA-TV in Scranton PA did this).  These stations are probably going to enter into a sharing agreement with anothter broadcaster in the market.  If this is the case, it's possible one may have to wait for retransmisstion agreements to flow down to the cable company.  (i.e. - If the PBS station is sharing bandwidth with a commercial station, then that commercial station's carriage agreement needs to be updated for the cable company to carry the PBS feed.