Not applicable

Outdated TV guide...spectrum

Maybe you can find someone who actually gives a crap about updating the program guide.  Just about every program regardless of how long ago it aired is listed as NEW!!!  The Spectrum guide is pretty much useless.  

3 REPLIES
Newcomer

Re: Outdated TV guide...spectrum

You’re right. A lot of programs do say New. As a result the program records again and again even if the original air date was earlier. Very annoying!!!
ARG
Newcomer

Woul certainly help us couch potato s😎
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

lankster48 wrote:

Maybe you can find someone who actually gives a crap about updating the program guide.  Just about every program regardless of how long ago it aired is listed as NEW!!!  The Spectrum guide is pretty much useless.  

Hey Iankster,

Best guess is that you are in a legacy Charter Market and your guide hasn't been updated in more than a decade.  There's different guides for different areas.  What are are you in?  City and zip?  What box do you have?  Make and model?

Legacy Charter:  Runs the following guides in several different areas:

SARA- There's one market that has this guide, and it is the biggest eyesore on the planet.  It's reliable though, but looks like an Apple II from the late 70's early 80's.  Never used it.  It's the first digitial guide that STB makers put in their boxes around the year 2000.

Passport- Not a bad guide for it's day.  Nice search, reliable,  That was put out by Aptiv TV. Cox last I checked was using an HD version of the guide.  Nice, but a little too cluttered. We had Passport from about 2002-2008.  In 2008, TWC dumped Passport, (in our area) because they wanted to develop their own guide to save money, That new guide became Navigator.  That way, TWC would not have to give money that they had been giving out to Aptiv TV to develop Passport.

Moxi- Have never used it, but I heard it was a decent guide.

I-Guide- Very dated.  Better than SARA, not as good as Passport, but reliable.

If you are former TWC, than you have either Navigator or I-Guide.

Early Navigator- Back around 2007-2008 very slow and unreliable  Developed by TWC in house.  SA-model boxes have legacy Navigator, It's gotten much better for the legacy boxes, but is hindered by the hardware in those SA boxes being so old.  No advanced, search, no HD, no cover art for legacy Navigator.

Modern Navigator- which is much improved from the early days, but is 1000 times better with new Navigator on the cloud-based boxes.  BUT, you have to be in a legacy TWC market to get it.  And ask for an Arris, Cisco/Technicolor, or Samsung box.  All the menus are HD, expanded search, filtering, cover art, a Kids Portal.  Really awesome!  We got the newest version last year and love it!

Spectrum is rolling out it's own cloud-based guide similar to TWC Modern Navigator, for new customers.  The problem is that it is very buggy:

1.)  Boxes reboot in the middle of shows.

2.) The Guide is slow and not responsive.

3.) Keyboard searches freeze and are not reliable

The plus side is that it looks nice, but it's going to take a couple of years to get it up to where TWC advanced Navigator is now.  Other than advanced Navigator having issues where the search does not always pick up all instances of a show, and movie years can be off by a year or more in listings, I wish that Spectrum would just port the advanced Navigator Guide to all users.  The cloud based Spectrum Guide is still too buggy for widespread distribution.  That's why only select markets and new customers are getting it at this time.

You can image search for each guide above to see what they look like. (TWC Navigator is often  called "The New Guide." )  Spectrum's cloud-based guide is called "The New Spectrum Guide."

Satch