Rookie

On Demand Interface

New customer here.

Something I've noticed that I feel can be easily improved to provide a better/more intuitive experience is the way the on demand guide is layed out.

For instance, when browsing the HBO or other premium on demand guides, you get a basic selection of 20 (most popular?) titles per category... ie: movies, series, documentary... etc... with thumbnail images for each selection and a brief description as well.

Why can't each category be expanded to have the thumbnail and description for every title in the library?

When you go to browse the entire catalog, you are presented with a very rudimentary alphabetical list.

I find this lacking... other providers have much more detailed on demand guides.

Just my 2 cents...
1 REPLY
Trusted Helper

Re: On Demand Interface

@Anyeurysm wrote:
New customer here.

Something I've noticed that I feel can be easily improved to provide a better/more intuitive experience is the way the on demand guide is layed out.

For instance, when browsing the HBO or other premium on demand guides, you get a basic selection of 20 (most popular?) titles per category... ie: movies, series, documentary... etc... with thumbnail images for each selection and a brief description as well.

Why can't each category be expanded to have the thumbnail and description for every title in the library?

When you go to browse the entire catalog, you are presented with a very rudimentary alphabetical list.

I find this lacking... other providers have much more detailed on demand guides.

Just my 2 cents...

Hello,

Excellent Guide feedback.  The reason for only showing graphically the top most popular titles in the guide and than needing to scroll or use Search to get to all titles has to do with the memory limitations of the boxes.

The guide is designed to work on both new and older box hardware, so there are limitations as to what the software can provide.  Expanding the on-screen graphics might cause the older boxes to slow down too much, because they can't do the on-screen graphics.

The very old SA model boxes could not do graphics at all because of memory limitations.  Other providers who are competitors often don't have to write code for forty different types and makes of models in the field.

The good news is that throughout the coming months to years, Spectrum will be  gradually introducing a totally cloud-based guide with enhanced On Demand features and functions.  The goal will be to get all the boxes to cloud-based technology.  Newer model boxes, will use the enhanced Internet cloud-based technologies with their already built in modems.

Older boxes will run on an Internet streaming service by Spectrum, so that the channels and settings will come off of an Internet stream, allowing the hardware in those boxes to do less work.  The long term goal will be for users to have all their channels, movies, series, shows, and settings "in the cloud."  That way, when a box is swapped out and gets activated to a customers' account. the shows and settings will be brought down from the cloud to the box. 

This technology will allow the boxes to do more with On Demand, Searching, Settings, and Navigation.  At the same time Spectrum will be expanding its On Demand Library.

Satch