Rookie

NorthWest or Bust (resolved 6/7/18)

Spectrum please settle with NorthWest or drop them. 

You continue to punish us (the customer) with your corporate tantrums.  Enough!

It's time to move on.

--Or perhaps I should look to Verizon or Dish for service? 

3 REPLIES
Valued Participant

Re: NorthWest or Bust

I agree. Spectrum has acted irresponsibly in this process. But you know what?

I'd rather not have to pay retransmission fees ( because in the end, it always comes down to the consumer paying ) for a commercial station, using public airways that I can get with an antenna. 

My opinion? Both parties stink. I have no respect for either of them.

Trusted Helper

@BobDobbswrote:

Spectrum please settle with NorthWest or drop them. 

You continue to punish us (the customer) with your corporate tantrums.  Enough!

It's time to move on.

--Or perhaps I should look to Verizon or Dish for service? 

The big problem affects all cable, dish, U-Verse providers,

If you switch, that next company could face the same problems with retransmission consent, when contracts come up for renewal.  Bob mentioned Dish.  They are the number one  provider to lose channels almost every time a retransmission deal occurs.  They have had to drop more channels than anybody.  You can check it out online. The only way that any sub is safe from any retransmission consent conflicts, is to purchase an OTA antenna.

The good news for customers is that studies show that ninety to ninety five percent of the time, retransmission contracts come about at a reasonable price with no disruption in service.  The contracts are generally for five years.  It's only that ten percent chance of a hold out and that five percent chance of channels being dropped.

Remember that the vendor (Cable, Dish, U-Verse) also has to pay the station provider for their content.  It's not just the customer.  Eventually if a compromise is not reached, a double-edge sword is created.  Drop the stations and alienate customers who watch them.  Or keep the stations, alienate the customer by raising prices and having higher bills that the host station demands to broadcast their content.

I have heard that Northwest can be very stubborn in retransmission fee negotiations.  Other providers have claimed this as well.  Since I am not from the area, can anyone who is, please tell the community what areas and stations are affected by the blackout?

Satch

Proven Sharer

They can't be "dropped" and replaced with another, becuase they are the "frachise" for the network they represent in your market.

I blame NorthWest in this case.  They are forcing you to pay for what they essentially give away for free to those with an antenna.  They exploit the fact that their programming MUST be carried on the StarterTV Tier, which is the tier that every video subscriber must pay for.

I hope that some day if a TV station elects to collect retransmission fees, that the subscriber can opt out and not pay (i.e. - a la carte over-the-air TV).