Rookie

No regular programming, on certain channels only get on demand

On certain channels, like food network I can only get on demand, not regular programming.  When I go to channel I get blank screen, click select and only option is on demand.  I have rebooted, unplugged set box to no avail.  I turned in old box, new box does same thing.  My tv in another room does not have this issue.  Any help appreciated.  Thank you.

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: No regular programming, on certain channels only get on demand

you have a coaxial issue, need TWC out to repair it if you can't yourself.

Something is corroded, chewed up or loose, or there's open splitter ports or a bad splitter itself. Verify the center wire is shiny copper and extends 1/8" beyond the nuts. and connectors are a tad more than finger tight and the coax isn't crushed

Trusted Helper

MsRaye wrote:

you have a coaxial issue, need TWC out to repair it if you can't yourself.

Something is corroded, chewed up or loose, or there's open splitter ports or a bad splitter itself. Verify the center wire is shiny copper and extends 1/8" beyond the nuts. and connectors are a tad more than finger tight and the coax isn't crushed

Yes,

OP needs to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test, as well as a junction box check.  Avoid resetting your boxes or modems for six hours before the tech comes.  A reset will clear the error logs and the tech needs to see those logs.  This is not a box issue.

Satch

Expert

here in Northern Ohio, looks like they're sticking the local channels that used to be analog above 700 mHz.

Upstream, where On demand and SDV channels are requested by boxes is down on 17 mHz.

Some of those channels are received on 200-400 mHz DS channels.  QAM internet is in the 500-700 range. 

RG 59, wet coax and old splitters kill off higher frequencies the most.

There could also be old bandstop filters on the outside line, between 2 different MFG's of cable boxes, like the old DTA 50-80's and new ones or DVR's might be using totally different channels .

You may be able to hold in the remote select button and then press the up arrow after 10 seconds to get the frequency and levels.  Anything in the -30 to -15 dBmv range is an issue especially if the s/n is lower than 30 dB...

It needs TWC out to probably replace the cable to the box not workings room , maybe the splitters and outside line as well.

Analog tv 2worked at a -50 dBmv level, lol.

God luck

Rookie

Thanks for the reply.  I will try that. Won't be able to do t for a couple of days though.

Expert

swap the working with the non working box in the 2 rooms, see if the problem is the room itself, then see if there's line damage or an extra splitter or rg59 cable if it's the room. replace with rg6 cable see if that works.  You may have several problems especially if any of this is over 10 years old. It just wasn't designed to handle digital service and needs to be cleaned up/ upgraded.

Observer

Same Problem here