Highlighted
Rookie

New change where each tv in your home needs a box

I want to address the new changes coming to Spectrum.  Starting August 8th each tv in your home will require digital equipment, which can require a box and remote, and you rent these from Spectrum, can't go and buy your own!  

It looks like with all the technology we have these days that Spectrum could come up with some sort of device, one receiver per home)  that could attach where the cable comes into your home (it could be on the inside not the outside) that would serve the same purpose of having a box on each tv. 

I have several  tv's in my home and will need a box for each one.  This seems so ridiculous.  We all talk about wanting to go green and then we have all these little boxes and remotes,  crazy. 

You pay for the service, but you don't get the service unless you rent the receivers?????????? 

6 REPLIES
Helper

Re: New change where each tv in your home needs a box

Sounds like your areas is one of the few areas left that allow boxless service. Most all other areas and other cable companies have already gone 100% encrypted digital that requires some sort of device to decrypt (set top box, DTA, cablecard).

If you have TWC/Spectrum internet you can have one rented box and use a Roku on the rest and use the Spectrum app instead of renting additional boxes.

Proven Sharer

Cindy1962 wrote:

I want to address the new changes coming to Spectrum.  Starting August 8th each tv in your home will require digital equipment, which can require a box and remote, and you rent these from Spectrum, can't go and buy your own!  

It looks like with all the technology we have these days that Spectrum could come up with some sort of device, one receiver per home)  that could attach where the cable comes into your home (it could be on the inside not the outside) that would serve the same purpose of having a box on each tv. 

I have several  tv's in my home and will need a box for each one.  This seems so ridiculous.  We all talk about wanting to go green and then we have all these little boxes and remotes,  crazy. 

You pay for the service, but you don't get the service unless you rent the receivers?????????? 

Yes, that is the plan.  It's the way of the future.

You can avouid renting equipment for every TV by making use of the Spectrum App on a Roku (which you own).  I'd recommend only Roku's which are hard wired to your LAN.  You WILL need to be a Spectrum Internet Customer in order to take advantage of this.

Content owners will cringe if the magic box at the service drop to your home were to decrypt perfect HD digital streams of their content, which would be freely copyable and recordable by many things in your home...

Expert

where are you? Northern Ohio has announced an Aug 1st date for termination of the remaining 50 or so analog channels...

See my post of a week or two ago....

unknown if DTA's are still available...

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/Northern-Ohio-Spectrum-TWC-to-turn-off-all-analog-and...

Expert

All builder/customer installed cabling over 10 years old is probably bad as well as most older "cable ready" tv's, vcr's, dvd player/recorders and video capture card/tuners. many send garbage back into the system and impair other customers cable tv and data service on the node, that could be 200-1000 customer devices.

Installing current manufacture boxes and new coax/s[plitters and amplifiers are the only acceptable solution.

As for a coomon decoder, that's not going to ever happen with HD digital, all devices need their own seperate streams

This is not a new change, it was announced numerous times over the past 3 years.

Rookie

Can someone please tell me how to eliminate all those unsubscribed channels???

Browser

It's August 10th and I still have a TV in the back room receiving analog cable wiht no box.