Newcomer

NEW DIGITAL SERVICE

Am I the only one that is very disappointed with this new digital set up that is supposed to be better? I have the basic service which covered a lot of channels like Lifetime, Syfy, Discovery, Nat Geo, Disney,Food Network, History, DIY, and the local channels just to name a few. Now I can’t get these channels on my basic plan, so do I have to pay more to get them? Are they now premium channels? Some of us can barely make the basic payments and they want us to pay more? It was fine before the so called digital upgrade that’s supposed to be better.  A lot of us may just cancel the tv service all together because there’s nothing basic to watch anymore. Too many unnecessary channels on the line up so it’s a waste of money. Just wanted to put this out there to see if there are others that feel this way. Mahalo

3 REPLIES
Established Sharer

Re: NEW DIGITAL SERVICE SUCKS

@JoenJowrote:

Am I the only one that is very disappointed with this new digital set up that is supposed to be better? I have the basic service which covered a lot of channels like Lifetime, Syfy, Discovery, Nat Geo, Disney,Food Network, History, DIY, and the local channels just to name a few. Now I can’t get these channels on my basic plan, so do I have to pay more to get them? Are they now premium channels? Some of us can barely make the basic payments and they want us to pay more? It was fine before the so called digital upgrade that’s supposed to be better.  A lot of us may just cancel the tv service all together because there’s nothing basic to watch anymore. Too many unnecessary channels on the line up so it’s a waste of money. Just wanted to put this out there to see if there are others that feel this way. Mahalo

The channels you cite have been part of the Standard Tier and above.  They were never part of the Basic / Starter Tier.   You received analog SD feeds of them gratis because:

1.  You were a Starter / Basic (approximately $20 per month) subscriber, and the RF filters required were not installed or they were removed.  This tier only includes the local channels, public access, the C-SPAN channels, Home Shopping, and maybe a payTV netowrk or two  (WGN America, etc.)

2.  You were also an internet customer, and the needed RF filters to block out the channels you didn't pay for were not installed because they weren't available or they caused other problems with your service...

You were getting them for free.  They are now only giving you what you pay for.

Newcomer

yes, this is happening to me too!!!  My father is having the same problem.  I called Specturm, did all the things they suggest with no success.  Is anybody listening to us at Specturm?

Established Sharer

@geriiwrote:

yes, this is happening to me too!!!  My father is having the same problem.  I called Specturm, did all the things they suggest with no success.  Is anybody listening to us at Specturm?

I guess you don't understand the root of the problem.

Spectrum (and TWC beforehand) failed to install the proper filters on the drop to your home, which would effectively have blocked out all the channels you now can't see.   The reasons to do this are:

1.  The tech didn't have them in his truck when service was turned on, so they were never installed.

2.  The tech could not install the filters because it would have blocked other services (such as your internet).

If you were only paying for StarterTV ($23.89 + $8.85) per month, and getting everything from Channels 1-70, you were getting them for free.  You were not paying for them.

Since they now encrypt everything, you only get the channels you actually pay for. 

Look at your bill.  Please advise us what level of video service you are paying for.  Please report the name of the package as it's listed on the bill, and what the charge for it is.