Observer

Metacritic "Info" is BROKEN

Reposting because apparently Spectrum didn't like something I wrote in my last attempt. Let's try again...

In deciding which movies to watch on my TimeWarner/Spectrum cable service, I'd press info button on my remote while viewing a movie listing in the guide. In addition to the description, in most wide-release movies there also appears to be a "Metacritic" rating, which is a nice feature to aid us customers in choosing which movie to watch.

One recent night I came across a series of movies in a row that were all listed with a Metacritic rating of 76. I thought, "Five in a row? That seems an unlikely coincidence..." So I looked up these films on the Metacritic website:

Pirate Radio - Spectrum: 76, ACTUAL Metacritic rating: 58
Big Fish - Spectrum: 76, ACTUAL Metacritic rating: 58
Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason - Spectrum 76, ACTUAL Metacritic rating: 44
Hoop Dreams - Spectrum: 76, ACTUAL Metacritic rating: 98

And on, and on, and on...

Perhaps the conduit between Spectrum and Metacritic is broken - though it's pretty odd that it when it broke it pegged at 76, and not, say 0 or 100, or some other random number. 76 is pretty conveniently high (especially when one considers that most of the movies run are curiously under that threshold.

Anyway, I'm bummed that it's not working, as I admire the Metacritic service and I've come to develop a trust in their ratings - it would be a nice feature to have (if it worked). But I'm also pretty unhappy TWC/Spectrum for not either: 1. removing it as it's clearly not working OR, were I to assign malicious intent, 2. for TWC/S intentionally pegging all movies at 76 to make it appear that the movies being aired are better than they are.

Anyway, I hope you address this issue. I've also emailed Metacritic. I figure they should know about this too.

Anyone else notice this?
5 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Metacritic "Info" is BROKEN

@adams wrote:
Reposting because apparently Spectrum didn't like something I wrote in my last attempt. Let's try again...

In deciding which movies to watch on my TimeWarner/Spectrum cable service, I'd press info button on my remote while viewing a movie listing in the guide. In addition to the description, in most wide-release movies there also appears to be a "Metacritic" rating, which is a nice feature to aid us customers in choosing which movie to watch.

One recent night I came across a series of movies in a row that were all listed with a Metacritic rating of 76. I thought, "Five in a row? That seems an unlikely coincidence..." So I looked up these films on the Metacritic website:

And on, and on, and on...

Perhaps the conduit between Spectrum and Metacritic is broken - though it's pretty odd that it when it broke it pegged at 76, and not, say 0 or 100, or some other random number. 76 is pretty conveniently high (especially when one considers that most of the movies run are curiously under that threshold.

Anyway, I'm bummed that it's not working, as I admire the Metacritic service and I've come to develop a trust in their ratings - it would be a nice feature to have (if it worked). But I'm also pretty unhappy TWC/Spectrum for not either: 1. removing it as it's clearly not working OR, were I to assign malicious intent, 2. for TWC/S intentionally pegging all movies at 76 to make it appear that the movies being aired are better than they are.

Anyway, I hope you address this issue. I've also emailed Metacritic. I figure they should know about this too.

Anyone else notice this?

Hey Adams,

That's great to get information out to people like that.  I think your first post got deleted because it  had censored profanity in the title, and the forum rules don't allow that. (No profanity, even censored, is permitted.) Otherwise, this is a great post and now I will check my own Metacritic data and see if I got a 76 on all my number ratings. Gracenote media does the listing data for the guides.  However, I am not sure who to contact there.

To help us understand this issue, we need to know the make and model of your cable box and your city, state, and zip code.  We can than assess whether this is a local issue or a national issue with the guide data.

Satch

Observer

Thanks, Satch,

I have an Arris 3600.

I'm in Los Angeles, CA 90094 (Playa Vista is the neighborhood).

A

Trusted Helper

@adams wrote:

Thanks, Satch,

I have an Arris 3600.

I'm in Los Angeles, CA 90094 (Playa Vista is the neighborhood).

A

Sup?

No problems here in Wisconsin with Metacritic.  Ratings on pressing Info show different results.  Anybody else havng these issues?  Adams, can you tell us what movies you tested that have the same Metacritic rating?

Satch

Helper

Community Manager

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  

I was able to reproduce the issue reported by @adams and @reds91185 on our test account (in Buffalo).  I reached out to Gracenote and reported the issue.  I will let you know when they respond back.