Newcomer

Golf Channel

Why is the Golf Channel not on the Select Plan?  We switched over to Spectrum thinking we would get better service and plans --- but a basic channel like Golf Channel is not included.   I do not want to add another 74 channels and pay more just to get a channel that I had with the competitors basic package.

3 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Golf Channel

@tcwiserwrote:

Why is the Golf Channel not on the Select Plan?  We switched over to Spectrum thinking we would get better service and plans --- but a basic channel like Golf Channel is not included.   I do not want to add another 74 channels and pay more just to get a channel that I had with the competitors basic package.

Greetings,

We STRONGLY ENCOURAGE customers to come to our forum to discuss options before switching from legacy TWC to Spectrum.  You almost have to think of each as two separate companies.  Although about 95% of the channel line up is the same, there are a few noted differences.  TWC's Preferred TV and Digital Variety Pass offered  some channels that Spectrum requires the purchase of both Digital Tier 1 and Digital Tier 2 to get them.

The reason why Golf Channel is not on Spectrum Select comes down to programing costs.  Sports channels are the most expensive for any tv vendor to maintain.  Under legacy TWC, it is likely that Golf Channel was at a rate that former management believed was fair and reasonable.  Golf Channel may have had to raise its rates under a new contract.  (Each station not on "Must Carry" status normally does renewal agreements with ALL TV vendors about every five years.)  Ninety five percent of the time, (or more) they come to a fair agreement with often small increases due only to inflation.  However, you have that five percent of the time, when their is a rate dispute and a station owner might demand say a 100% or more rate increase for the same programing!  (Spectrum, Comcast, U-Verse, Altice (The old Cablevision), Direct TV, Dish Network, all go through these same contact negotiations every five years.)

Spectrum looked at Golf Channel and likely said, "Well, Golf Channel won't honor the old TWC rates with only a small increase, and if we move Golf Channel to Spectrum Select, would subs like to pay say $10 more a month for one channel? " Golf Channel's rates, Spectrum probably thought were too high, so they had to move the channel to a higher tier to keep the cost of Spectrum Select down.  The problem is not Spectrum, it's the networks that demand higher fees that can sometimes become not reasonable when station contracts are up for retransmission renewal.  Sports stations are very pricey to have on any vendors line-up, because the host station managers are sometimes resistant to hold onto the lower rates,  When their asking prices go far above the rate of inflation, that is where the providers need to find a reasonable compromise to keep costs down.

Satch

Newcomer

I also liked receiving theGolf Channel and was disappointed when Spectrum took over our TWC.  I am only interested in roughly 30 channels, not 250, yet I pay an exorbitant amount of money for service that I could care less about.  How can I go back to Time Warner?

zb

Trusted Helper

@zb14625 wrote:

I also liked receiving theGolf Channel and was disappointed when Spectrum took over our TWC.  I am only interested in roughly 30 channels, not 250, yet I pay an exorbitant amount of money for service that I could care less about.  How can I go back to Time Warner?

zb

Users can not go back to Time Warner.  Time Warner is now Spectrum.  You can keep grandfather claused TWC packages and services to which you subscribe. However, any account changes would mandate a move to a Spectrum Plan.

However, each company has some channels and services that the other doesn't. You can never, ever go back to TWC if you switch to Spectrum billing as the legacy TWC codes will than be out of the system for your account.

Satch