Not applicable

Fox Sport Ohio not programming NHL games on Channel 28

Tried to watch the Blue Jackets/Capitals game last night 4/15 on Fox Sports Ohio Channel 28 as shown on the channel menu but instead there was a poker game on for the entire game.  Tried to watch a replay of the game today at noon (again as shown on the programming menu for Fox Sports Ohio channel 28) and there was drag racing!  I live in western PA and the Fox Sports Ohio channel guide shown channel 28 for the Blue Jackets NHL games.  Spectrum tech person could not help.  Anyone else been shut down from NHL games on channel 28?

3 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Fox Sport Ohio not programming NHL games on Channel 28

@johnstydowrote:

Tried to watch the Blue Jackets/Capitals game last night 4/15 on Fox Sports Ohio Channel 28 as shown on the channel menu but instead there was a poker game on for the entire game.  Tried to watch a replay of the game today at noon (again as shown on the programming menu for Fox Sports Ohio channel 28) and there was drag racing!  I live in western PA and the Fox Sports Ohio channel guide shown channel 28 for the Blue Jackets NHL games.  Spectrum tech person could not help.  Anyone else been shut down from NHL games on channel 28?

All NHL Playoff games are on National Cable Channels (NBC, NBCSN, USA, CNBC, MSNBC, NHL Network; they could even end up on the Golf Channel).  The exception is for Round One, where the in-market local RSN can show games for the teams they normally cover during the season. 

You are in Western PA, and I assume that means you will only get Pens games on their RSN.  The Blue Jackets are out of market for the post-season, and those games will be available on one of the NBC-owned networks.   Therefore, you were given alternate programming on the out-of-market RSN.

The local RSN's coverage ends with the end of the first round.  Round two and onward everything is national.

Not applicable

What do you mean that Columbus Blue Jacket games are "out of market" for western PA.  There are many fans in this area for Ohio teams (Cavs, Browns, Indians and the BJ).  The Regional Sports Network in my area is Channel 27, Root Sports, not Channel 28.  So there's no reason why both channels shouldn't broadcast their NHL games as the Spectrum schedule shows- unless they're trying to blackout local viewing.   I will continue to complain to Spectrum when they fail to broadcast their posted schedule. Next to the FCC.    

Proven Sharer

@johnstydowrote:

What do you mean that Columbus Blue Jacket games are "out of market" for western PA.  There are many fans in this area for Ohio teams (Cavs, Browns, Indians and the BJ).  The Regional Sports Network in my area is Channel 27, Root Sports, not Channel 28.  So there's no reason why both channels shouldn't broadcast their NHL games as the Spectrum schedule shows- unless they're trying to blackout local viewing.   I will continue to complain to Spectrum when they fail to broadcast their posted schedule. Next to the FCC.    

The NHL deems you in Pens country, even though your cable system carries FS Ohio.  I remeber hearing from friends who signed up for this package from DirecTV which offered every RSN in the nation, only to deem it worthless becuase all the games were blacked out.   But now we are getting off-topic.

The NHL's deal with NBC dictates that ALL PLAYOFF GAMES be aired Nationally, except for First Round games, where the RSN may show the local team in the local market.  Forget what the Spectrum Schedule shows - they don't create it.  It is developed by Gracenote and is provided to Spectrum as a service.  Gracenote doesn't delineate who is inside and outside the blackout zone, and offer only one schedule for the channel.  If the NHL deems you outside of BJ territory, you are blacked out, and won't get the game on the RSN.  You will need to watch on NBCSN (tonight).  The FCC is not going to care, and you won't have recourse against anyone for a schedule that is not accurate for your market.

Tonight's Game 3 is on three networks:  FSOH (for those in the Columbus market), NSWA for those in the DC Market, and NBCSN for everyone else. 

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/stanley-cup-playoffs-tv-schedule-nbc-usa-network-nbcsn-cnbc-nhl-netw...