Empty Channels

I ordered the Standard TV Package (70 channels) so why transmit an additional 130 channels I have no interest in? 

3 REPLIES
Highlighted
Sharer

Re: Empty Channels

Barkeep123 wrote:

I ordered the Standard TV Package (70 channels) so why transmit an additional 130 channels I have no interest in? 

The cable company cannot "narrow-cast" just the channels you pay for just to you.   The channels are not empty.  Your Set-top box just doesn't decode them, since you don't pay to subscribe to them.

Expert

dstoffa wrote:

Barkeep123 wrote:

The cable company cannot "narrow-cast" just the channels you pay for just to you.   The channels are not empty.  Your Set-top box just doesn't decode them, since you don't pay to subscribe to them.

Actually, they can with the new boxes that have 8 ch docsis 3 modems in them for video streams. Older boxes had SDV which meant those channels aren't on the coax unless someone want's to watch them

But, the cable co's don't want to give you a price break or offer ala carte channels, they'd loose too much money.

Trusted Helper

Barkeep123 wrote:

Greetings,

If you have the newest version of The Guide called Navigator, which you should if you are in a former TWC/BHN area, press the Guide button twice on your remote, and select Subscribed.  Now, only channels that are in your package will be shown in the Time Grid.

If you have always been Charter/Spectrum, please consult your local website for how to use Guide Filtering to just show subscribed channels on your box.  The ability to do this, may vary depending on your box and software installed.

Satch