Participant

Disappearing channels

I've noticed ever since the Spectrum buyout, some channels from my lineup has quietly dissappeared. I have had the Nick 2/Nick pacific channel for years, but some time in 2017, that channel disappeared from my lineup. It is channel 260. What is weird is I have visited some family who has Spectrum and she has the Nick 2 channel. Mine is gone.

Why would this happen? It is a national channel, so I would think what happens to one market would occur to all others.

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Disappearing channels

It's because TWC now Spectrum has never been a nationwide system like Dish and DirecTv are.

There's probably 5-10,000 different systems and with the buggy database management channels can drop.. Do you get the channel over on TWCTV (now is  "www.watchspectrum.net")

Next issue could be coaxial... if you manually enter in that channel number, do you get a  "please wait"? could be an old single channel filter inline or damaged coax...

Look in the guide for your zipcode and see if you're supposed to get it...

Trusted Helper

BlakeT wrote:

I've noticed ever since the Spectrum buyout, some channels from my lineup has quietly dissappeared. I have had the Nick 2/Nick pacific channel for years, but some time in 2017, that channel disappeared from my lineup. It is channel 260. What is weird is I have visited some family who has Spectrum and she has the Nick 2 channel. Mine is gone.

Why would this happen? It is a national channel, so I would think what happens to one market would occur to all others.

Hello Blake,

There are several factors here.  The most important is whether or not you are on a Legacy TWC line-up or a Spectrum line up.  You can have either, but not both.  If you are on a legacy TWC line up, the big digital packages that gave you all the channels was called Digital Variety Pass or Preferred TV.  Check your statement for details of your plan.

If you are on a new Spectrum line up, they took about 20-30 channels and moved those to the Spectrum Gold Package.  The only way to get those channels is to keep your legacy TWC plan, or move to Spectrum Gold. (Or subscribe to Spectrum Digital Pack 2, which includes Spectrum Gold, but no premium channels.)  The big kicker is that ONCE YOU SWITCH TO A SPECTRUM PLAN, YOU CANNOT IN ANY WAY GO BACK TO A TWC LEGACY PLAN, AS THE TWC LEGACY PLAN IS OUT OF THE SYSTEM.  There are also about five channels that one line up has that the other does not.  In all honesty, other than an Internet Speed boost, from 60meg to 100meg, which you probably won't notice if you are downloading small files.  If you are happy with your TWC legacy plan, don't switch.  You will also lose Whole House DVR if you have it.  They will generally let you keep the box, but when it craps out and you are on a Spectrum line up, they will just give you a 2-tuner or 4-tuner DVR.

If you are already on a Spectrum plan and you want the Viacom channels like Nick and TV Land, you have to move to Spectrum Gold. (Or subscribe to Digital Pack 2, see above.)  There was a change with Viacom that next year, as part of a new carriage deal, if you are on a Spectrum plan, they were going to be moving those plans to Standard TV.  You will need to check the line-up for your area to see when exactly this happens.  When that time comes, you could go off Spectrum Gold, if you didn't mind losing the other channels in the Gold Package.  Check the Spectrum line up in your area, to see what channels are in the Gold Package.  Hope this helps!

Satch

Participant

When I went to the website, it acknowledges the existence of that channel, but does not let me tune to it.

I noticed the channel CMT music disappeared as well. It was on channel 294.

I looked at the Spectrum lineup online and I found that nick channel and TV land are listed as spectrum gold. I would not consider those luxury channels. Wow.

Highlighted
Sharer

Spectrum has a new agreement with Viacom. Most of the channels that were moved to Digi2/Gold will be moved back to the standard lineup. Check the legal notices for your area. For Charlotte NC (L-TWC) it will be on 1/15/18.
Trusted Helper

stannc wrote:
Spectrum has a new agreement with Viacom. Most of the channels that were moved to Digi2/Gold will be moved back to the standard lineup. Check the legal notices for your area. For Charlotte NC (L-TWC) it will be on 1/15/18.

The sad part,

Is that even legacy TWC subs who have always had those channels in there package, will have to pay a price increase around Frebruary 1.  This is why the TV surcharge is increasing.  Viacom agreed to take those channels off of Gold for Spectrum line up subs, but although they will be in standard service, we will all have to pay for them regardless.

Satch

PS.  Although Spectrum's Digital Pack 2 is basically Gold without the premium channels, the issue deseribed above is the same.

Trusted Helper

BlakeT wrote:

When I went to the website, it acknowledges the existence of that channel, but does not let me tune to it.

I noticed the channel CMT music disappeared as well. It was on channel 294.

I looked at the Spectrum lineup online and I found that nick channel and TV land are listed as spectrum gold. I would not consider those luxury channels. Wow.

Hi Blake,

Sounds like you are on a Spectrum Package, not TWC legacy.  What is your TV service level?  Spectrum's Digital Pack 2, is Spectrum Gold without the Premium Channels.  Spectrum Gold is all the channels and all the premiums.

I agree that most of the channels in Spectrum Gold, are not exactly "Gold" top channels.  TV Land?  Cartoon Network?  I am still on TWC legacy, which I think had a better value line-up than Spectrum.  I miss TWC very much!

Satch