Rookie

Completely wrong Channel guide information

Hi. I live in zipcode 29550 and have a Tivo. I know that Tivo is responsible for providing the channel guide data to it. However, TV guide and Spectrum.net listings do not line up with my channels. Spectrum.net even lists two stations for #8. HOWEVER, going into the spectrum.net app, I find an updated and correct version of the channels. I tested the tv channels on the tivo and it seems these are the channels that I have. I also called someone who has a cable box and their channels line up with the new ones. After spending an hour with support they said they only see the old channel guide (the one on TV Guide and Spectrum.net). I need help contacting the right people for this. I don't know if this lineup change was an accident or the poeple who modified the systems did something inccorectly. This occurred on 3/27 as the cable was switched from some analog to all digital. My recordings back this up and recorded correctly on 3/26 before this random channel change. 

TLDR: The spectrum app is the only correct source of cable guide information and I believe something in the system is not getting updated which is also hindering tivo from providing the correct channel guide data. Therefore I need some serious help.

2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Completely wrong Channel guide information

@tvtroublewrote:

Hi. I live in zipcode 29550 and have a Tivo. I know that Tivo is responsible for providing the channel guide data to it. However, TV guide and Spectrum.net listings do not line up with my channels. Spectrum.net even lists two stations for #8. HOWEVER, going into the spectrum.net app, I find an updated and correct version of the channels. I tested the tv channels on the tivo and it seems these are the channels that I have. I also called someone who has a cable box and their channels line up with the new ones. After spending an hour with support they said they only see the old channel guide (the one on TV Guide and Spectrum.net). I need help contacting the right people for this. I don't know if this lineup change was an accident or the people who modified the systems did something incorrectly. This occurred on 3/27 as the cable was switched from some analog to all digital. My recordings back this up and recorded correctly on 3/26 before this random channel change. 

TLDR: The spectrum app is the only correct source of cable guide information and I believe something in the system is not getting updated which is also hindering tivo from providing the correct channel guide data. Therefore I need some serious help.

Greetings,

Several different responsibilities could be mingling together here causing a conflict with the listing data.  Spectrum unfortunately cannot assist with Tivo's listing data or other third-party vendors that are not theirs.  At the same time, Tivo cannot assist with Spectrum's listing data, so if you call each company, most likely they will put the blame on each other.

What I do know is that Spectrum gets its guide data from Gracenote.  Gracenote used to be Tribune Media Services.  When it was Tribune, I got to know the online listing editor through social media, and she was really helpful in correcting guide listing data within several business days.

But now with Gracenote, I don't know who to contact for guide listing errors.  My Wisconsin market uses the TWC modern Navigator Guide and it is really good, with a couple of listing bugs  for instance:  All instances below for listing errors refer to the Navigator ODN 8.0 Guide on any Arris, Cisco/Technicolor, or Samsung box.  My zip is 53045

Some movies are off by a year or more.  They will show correctly most of the time in search results, but when you click on the movie, it will be off a year or more from the actual release date Some movies when the release date is correct in search, you click on the title and the year is way off.  Here are some examples: (Some of the other movie years have been improved with correct information.)

1.)   The movie, Fiddler on the Roof playing on On Demand this Month shows a proper release date of 1971 when searched, but click on more information on any Cisco/Technicolor, Arris, or Samsung box and it is listed as released in 1970. (Select the Title by hitting the Select button.)

2..) When the movie Midnight Cowboy shows up, correctly listed as released in 1969.  Click on the additional information,   Select the title by hitting the Select button. it lists the year as 1975.  Way off of the correct year of release.

3.) The Movie Animal House, shown in searches as being released in 1978.  Click on additional information by hitting the Select button, it has a release date of 2009! 

Tip: The cover art screen, when doing advanced searches for all three of the above movies, shows the wrong year of release on any Navigator Guide advanced set top box.  (Arris, Cisco/Technicolor, Samsung.)

Now for shows and series incorrect data:

4.) The Navigator Guide on all modern boxes has a bug in its  advanced keyboard search system.  (Cisco/Technocolor, Samsung receivers.) where if a show from two different eras has the same name, the keyboard search only returns the modern version of the show.

For example, a keyboard search of Match Game,  on a modern box with the Navigator Guide, only shows the new ABC version listings.  The Classic 1973-1977 version, shown on GSN at least twice during the weekdays is not on the modern search system.  This is because the database needs a placeholder such as Match Game (1973-1977) in it's search system for the keyboard to distinguish between the two shows.  It currently lacks that placeholder, so the only way you can find the 70's version of Match Game is through the Time Grid, or by having an old SA-model box. which has a Title only keyboard search system.  Spectrum has yet to fix this issue.  You will have the same issue searching for Match Game at Spectrum TV.com

5.) With the Navigator Guide, the show The Middle, when you press the Info button on a Navigator modern box (Arris, Cisco.Technicoloror Samsung,) the title of the show, the large white letters are in a foreign language. There was another show that does this, but I can't think of the name,  On another board over at DSL Reports, a customer in the LA area also noticed this.  Again the cover art screen for this series is showing the title of the series in a foreign language.

The point is there are a lot of small listing bugs, but I don't know if Spectrum or Gracenote, or in the OP's users' case, Tivo, is responsible for fixing them.  Staffers and users with the Navigator Guide ODN 8.0 on any advanced box, try my above examples, and see what you get. 

Satch

Rookie

Re: Completely wrong Channel guide information

Maybe I need to specify that the guide data isnt necessarily wrong just out of order. The channels do not line up anymore therefore it is "completely wrong" because of that. If we are allowed to post images, I will gladly do that to better explain my issue here.  The channels on the guide data on spectrum.com, tv guide, and my tivo currently match up but are incorrect. The channels on the spectrum tv app and apparently cable boxes match up with the channels I am actually receiving but not the guide data, with no option to fix the guide data. The reason it bothers me is because if Spectrum's own website isnt showing the new layout I doubt Tivo will be able to get it. 

Also I just checked gracenote on zap2it and it is also showing the inccorect channel guide :/

For example, I am receiving WGN on channel 5, and the spectrum tv app and boxes show the guide data for WGN on that channel. My tivo, spectrum.com, and tvguide.com show that the channel is CW (although in one instance it actually shows that BOTH CW and WGN are channel 8).