Browser

Re: Channel Linups by Number and Name

@Bozwrote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why can't you go to timewarnercable.com/en/tv/channels-lineup.html# , set it to display your particular channel lineup, sort by # or name, copy and paste into Excel, and manipulate the lists from there?

I tried it, and while it's not perfect, it works well enough for me.

OK, you asked for it. This is not going to be short or simple...

There is no way I could find to do a click and drag copy of the listings of channels names and channel numbers as it is seen on that page. When I choose the Silver package from the yellow button the listing is revised to show only that package but it also includes an image on the far left of an icon for each channel. So when I print that to a text file I get this (first four lines of the Select listing as an example):

Channel logo for WABI - CBS 6 WABI - CBS
Spectrum Select Spectrum Silver Spectrum Gold
Channel logo for WFVX - FOX 4 WFVX - FOX
Channel logo for WLBZ - NBC 3 WLBZ - NBC
Channel logo for WMEB - PBS 13 WMEB - PBS

I don't know of any way to paste that info a spreadsheet.

To turn it into a page of text with two columns, one with channel name and the corresponding channel number requires extensive editing to reduce what you see above to this listing with just the channel name and number like this:

WABI - CBS 6
WFVX - FOX 4
WLBZ - NBC 3
WMEB - PBS 13

I had the listing emailed to me by clicking on the Email icon (an envelope) and entering my email address. That resulted in a email that included a link to the same new-channel-lineup page I had requested the listing from. So it did not change anything or help at all.

I tried printing the listing by clicking on the "Printable View" link next to Email link icon. That produced a sort of strange change because the "Print" link moved to the left and something called a "Web View" link popped up and the arrangement and display of the lintings changed into something very much different.

The change was that the channel display changed to a page with three columns titled "Ch." and "Network" with the channels listed by name in alphabetical order (almost so anyway, there were a few not in order) and with it's channel number to the left of the name, The was a stack of three "CH. Network" displays, each about 30-odd listing high and three listing wide, and the three displayed all the channel almost alphabetically.

I was able to do a click and drag and copy those channel numbers and names and paste all of them into a text file in sequence I had a full and almost alphetical listing. The four channels used in the above examples looked like this and the alphabetical listing followed those:

Ch. Network
6 WABI - CBS
4 WFVX - FOX
3 WLBZ - NBC
13 WMEB - PBS
537 5StarMAX - E
49 A&E
50 AMC

So I copied all of those listings in a text file and, other than a few exceptions, had a full nearly alphabetical list of all my channels.

So I did some editing (for an hour or so) and had a two column listing with the channel numbers (not in order) on the left and the channel names alphabetical on the right and separated and aligned by a 8 space wide tab. That looked like this with the local broadcast channels followed by the other channels alphabetically (I had to use the dashes for the spacing in this post as there are no tabs):

6------WABI - CBS
4------WFVX - FOX
3------WLBZ - NBC
13-----WMEB - PBS
8------WVII - ABCB
537----5StarMAX - E
49-----A&E
50-----AMC
185----ASPiRE TV

Then I used the Linux sort command to sort the lines into two new files, one numerically by the channel number field and the other alphabetically by the channel names. And I now have alphabetical and and numerical listings of what I am paying for and that I can edit and print.

And that is something that I still feel that I should have been able to get from Spectrum.

I use a few *.xls spreadsheets that I havve downloaded for specific purposes but don't know much at all about building them. They work, it is enough for me.  If you think I should be able to import the numbers and names from a spreadsheet I'll send the text files you if you give me an email. (I'll send you an address in a "safe to post here" format if you want them).

Jack

Browser

@reds91185wrote:

Is there a Spectrum store near you? Perhaps they have something that would work for you.

It is 35 miles away, I'll go there when I get a chance... 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Jack

Boz
Sharer

You paste the info copied into an Excel worksheet.  Then you copy the column with the info.  Then you open a new Excel worksheet/tab, then right click, and paste values.  Then there are no images and you can delete the first worksheet.

Then you can manipulate the rows as desired.

Yes, it is work, especially for the number of channels in the Gold package, but not that much, especially to get a list like you want.

Browser

@Bozwrote:

You paste the info copied into an Excel worksheet.  Then you copy the column with the info.  Then you open a new Excel worksheet/tab, then right click, and paste values.  Then there are no images and you can delete the first worksheet.

Then you can manipulate the rows as desired.

Yes, it is work, especially for the number of channels in the Gold package, but not that much, especially to get a list like you want.

I have two columns of info separated by tabs in a text file, it starts out looking like this :

(channel, tab, name - the dashes are only used in this post as an example)

537-----5StarMAX - E
533-----ActionMAX - E
49------ A&E
50------ AMC
42------ Animal Planet

(etc. for 213 or so lines in two columns)

When I click and drag it selects both columns and when I import that into a Office Calc spreadsheet (set to *.xls format) it considers both of those fields to be one string or item even though they are separated by a tab. and puts them both in the A column of the spreadsheet.  

To get that in as two columns of info it looks like I would have to have two documents, one with just a list of channel numbers ordered as seen with the names but with all the names edited out.  And the second document would have a list of the names ordered as seen but with the channel numbers edited out.  

And that would let me import the channel numbers to the A column and make the B column wide enough for the longest name and import the names to that column,  is that gonna work?  

So that means two lengthy editing sessions

I'm not really asking you to do this for me, I am still hoping that someone at Spectrum will respond to my request and see it a something that would  be good for business. 

I found the email address of two highly placed mucky muck people at Charter.com (the HQ or overlords of the entire conglomeration that Spectrum is in) and sent them an email asking for the lists hoping it would stir things up and produce one.  

Surely I am not being stupid nor am I out of line!  I am a paying customer asking for a reasonable thing! 

Jack

Boz
Sharer

If you have a text document with the following format, except instead of the dashes, you have a tab, I think you are close to your solution.

537-----5StarMAX - E
533-----ActionMAX - E
49------ A&E
50------ AMC
42------ Animal Planet

If I copy and paste the exact info above into Notepad, replace the dashes with a single "tab", and then copy and paste out of Notepad into Excel 2013, then the data ends up with the #s in one column and the text in another column.

Perhaps the trouble you're having is with whatever text program you're using or with Office Calc spreadsheet.

If you don't have Excel, at least try copying your tab separated list out of whatever text program you're using and pasting it into Notepad, and then copy out of Notepad and paste into your Office Calc spreadsheet.  Does that result with the data in separate colums?

Trusted Helper

@Bozwrote:

If you have a text document with the following format, except instead of the dashes, you have a tab, I think you are close to your solution.

537-----5StarMAX - E
533-----ActionMAX - E
49------ A&E
50------ AMC
42------ Animal Planet

If I copy and paste the exact info above into Notepad, replace the dashes with a single "tab", and then copy and paste out of Notepad into Excel 2013, then the data ends up with the #s in one column and the text in another column.

Perhaps the trouble you're having is with whatever text program you're using or with Office Calc spreadsheet.

If you don't have Excel, at least try copying your tab separated list out of whatever text program you're using and pasting it into Notepad, and then copy out of Notepad and paste into your Office Calc spreadsheet.  Does that result with the data in separate colums?

Guys,

My hope is that the OP doesn't have to go through more work than what this is worth for him.  Keep us posted!

Satch

Boz
Sharer

It shouldn't be that much more work.  It sounds like jackerbes has already done most of the work.

All I know is, that based on the description of state of the data, it should only take a few copy and paste steps to end up with a sortable Excel worksheet.

Browser

@Bozwrote:

537-----5StarMAX - E
533-----ActionMAX - E
49------ A&E
50------ AMC
42------ Animal Planet

OK, I'll fool around with it a little more but it won't be real soon, I have a wife in the hospital and a bunch of other things going on...  

Maybe Spectrum will beat me to the punch with listing I can download....

Jack

Browser

@Bozwrote:

537-----5StarMAX - E
533-----ActionMAX - E
49------ A&E
50------ AMC
42------ Animal Planet

You're a spreadsheet genius!   I installed NotePad to Mint Linux under the Wine software for Windows apps under linux and opened that.  Then I copied the two columns from the linux text file with the unsorted channel numbers and somewhat alphabetical/somewhat not alphabetical list of channel names and pasted it in to NotePad. 

I got two columns that were a little staggered horizontally and with spaces not tabs.  So I went through all 213 lines and changed it so that there was a tab between the channel number and the channel name.   Got rid of all the spaces and all lines ended with a return (Enter key). 

Then I opened Office Calc and imported the text file into it as separated by a tab and it put the channels in the A column and the channel names in the B column.  

So no I just have to figure out how to sort the two columns numerically and alphabetically and take the column next to it along for the sort.   Does that sound like something I should be able to do?  

I'll mess with this some more tomorrow, got some other things going on here...

Jack 

Browser

Further progress has been made, still using Office Calc spreadsheet in the *.xls mode I was able to use the menu and the Data > Sort and submenus there to sort the spreadsheet by the number and named columns.  

So I have two *.xls spreadsheets now, one numerically sorted and the other alphabetical sorted and just have to work out the process of exporting them to a *.pdf file that I can print and I'll have my two printed listings.   And those are going to be a great help to a person in my life that need them to enjoy watching TV.

To Spectrum:  

Another bizarre behavior has emerged in the grossly inadequate channel listings.  When I sit down in front of the TV and bring the Guide menuing system up in the Watch TV mode I see a numercally ascending listing of the channels and what is on them.it has the info sorted in six or more columns.  The first three columns seen are: 

7 character abbreviation-------------2 to 4 numbers------columns with broadcast

for the name of the channel--------for the channel------time and program name

And the bizarre behavior I have noted is that there is considerable variance between name of the channel on the channel lineup page here:

https://www.spectrum.com/browse/content/new-channel-lineup

and the listings I can see when I put the channel linup page in the Web View mode.  So it they really wanted to be helpful, there would be two or more choices for how the info on the web view (which, in itself, is not very easy to find) so that the channel names can be seen in the same wording as displayed on the Guide on the TV and also a choice to sort the Web View results by channel number or channel name.   

If there is a Spectrum person here, would you please speak up and post here to tell us that?   As it stands right now, these forums are no help at all in getting help from Spectrum, they are helpful only because some of the subscribers are helping each other here as near as I can tell.  

I have tried to open a email or telephone dialogue with Spectrum headquarters level people and can find any addresses or phone numers that will do that.   And I have tried to do the same thing with the parent Charter corporation and have not gotten a single human response yet.   The Time-Warner company did not seem to give a **bleep** about their customers, it looks like at least some of that attitude has come into the new ownership by Spectrum and Charter....

Jack