JD7
Newcomer

Can't record on DVR from remote but can from internet?

We just got a replacement DVR and I was able to setup recording on the web site, but it doesn't seem to work from the remote for the DVR.  We go through the process of selecting a show, and choosing Yes to record series, but it never turns red on the guide.

4 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Can't record on DVR from remote but can from internet?

JD7 wrote:

We just got a replacement DVR and I was able to setup recording on the web site, but it doesn't seem to work from the remote for the DVR.  We go through the process of selecting a show, and choosing Yes to record series, but it never turns red on the guide.

Hi JD7,

Does your guide look like the one below?

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/tv/features/new-guide.html

Try this test.  Set up a show to record and answer yes.  Now go to DVR List by pressing that button on the remote.  I assume that nothing shows up in Scheduled Recordings?  If so, try these steps:

• Reboot your cable box by going to Settings and selecting that option.
  • Wait 10 minutes after the reboot and try to schedule a soon to be recorded show.
  • If it plays back, you are all set, if not, Call Spectrum and ask them to reauthorize your DVR to your account.  The DVR codes my not be active on your account.  A call to Spectrum should fix this.
  • If that does not work, a service call may need to be scheduled.

Satch

JD7
Newcomer

this is a brand new box though. why should i have to reboot it already? Thats why I traded in my old dvr box. barely worked, was slow and had to reboot it all the time.

Trusted Helper

JD7 wrote:

this is a brand new box though. why should i have to reboot it already? Thats why I traded in my old dvr box. barely worked, was slow and had to reboot it all the time.

JD7,

Rebooting doesn't mean the box is bad.  The boxes are network computers they sometimes need to be rebooted to link up to your account and to billing.  Billing needs the codes on your DVR in order for it to work.  You don't have to reboot if you don't want to do that,

However, I would call Spectrum and say that you need your DVR reauthorized to your account, because it's a brand new box and the record indicator is not going on when you set up a recording.

You should not have to reboot your box very often, only when something strange happens.  I can't remember the last time that I rebooted my box.  The other reason for reboots is for the box to get software updates from the network servers.

If you have the need to reboot a lot you could have a bad box.  If you have a pixilated picture or blank screen, you need to set up a signal and drop line test.  A swapped box won't solve bad signals.  Did you just go to a Spectrum office to get this box, or did a tech install the box?

I think that the DVR codes are missing on your billing account, so you should call Spectrum and have then reauthorize your DVR.

Satch

Trusted Helper

Satch wrote:

JD7 wrote:

JD7,

Rebooting doesn't mean the box is bad.  The boxes are network computers they sometimes need to be rebooted to link up to your account and to billing.  Billing needs the codes on your DVR in order for it to work.  You don't have to reboot if you don't want to do that,

However, I would call Spectrum and say that you need your DVR reauthorized to your account, because it's a brand new box and the record indicator is not going on when you set up a recording.

You should not have to reboot your box very often, only when something strange happens.  I can't remember the last time that I rebooted my box.  The other reason for reboots is for the box to get software updates from the network servers.

If you have the need to reboot a lot you could have a bad box.  If you have a pixilated picture or blank screen, you need to set up a signal and drop line test.  A swapped box won't solve bad signals.  Did you just go to a Spectrum office to get this box, or did a tech install the box?

I think that the DVR codes are missing on your billing account, so you should call Spectrum and have then reauthorize your DVR.

Satch

Update!

Try a reboot of your box first!  It helped this customer below with the same problem!

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/Can-t-schedule-recordings-but-I-can-record-shows-on-...

Satch