Rookie

Billing with Sports and Broadcast monthly charge

I noticed a while ago that my bill has a monthly charge for Sports and Broadcasting.  I called and got two answers from two employee's of Spectrum.  Exactly what is this and why am I being charged?  As I see it, a customer wants the sports extra's they are able to order and pay it monthly on their bill, but I don't watch sports of any type, and I don't understand why I have to help pay to get these channels. Thanks for the help.  

4 REPLIES
Sharer

Re: Billing with Sports and Broadcast monthly charge

nanalette wrote:

I noticed a while ago that my bill has a monthly charge for Sports and Broadcasting.  I called and got two answers from two employee's of Spectrum.  Exactly what is this and why am I being charged?  As I see it, a customer wants the sports extra's they are able to order and pay it monthly on their bill, but I don't watch sports of any type, and I don't understand why I have to help pay to get these channels. Thanks for the help.  

These are surcharges which cannot be avoided.

If you subscribe to ANY video service, you will be charged the "Broadcast TV Surcharge" of $7.50 per month.  I beleive the charge should be "bundled" with the cost of the TV package you subscribe to, but Spectrum (and pretty much every other PayTV service) itemizes the cost that your local TV stations demand in retransmission fees, so that you know they (the TV Stations) are charging you a fee for what they give everyone with an antenna away for free...  So, if you subscribe to StarterTV at, $20 per month, it's really $27.50 per month.

If you subscribe to ANY video service ABOVE Starter / Basic, you will be charged the Sports Programming Fee, which is also a way for Spectrum to itemize (and bring to the forefront) the cost  that the Regional Sports Networks on your system demand for carriage on the system.  These are not the specialy sports networks (such as NHL Network), but the local RSN's which show games of the local teams (Fox Sports ____, MSG, YES, SNY, Comcast SportsNet, etc.)  I believe that this charge should be included in the price for the tiers which have said sports programming.  You cannot avoid this fee, either, as these channels are typically bundled in the "Standard" tier.

I guess it's nice to know what niche programming contributes to my bill, and I don't really care that it is itemized on my bill, but it would be better for all parties involved, if pay tv providers were required to advertise the total price (with surcharges included), instead of using the asterisk disclaimer which reads "surchages not included."

If you care to read up on how the costs of carrying broadcast TV programming and sports programming are impacting the average cable bill, you can read this FCC report on the matter.  These charges didn't exist 10 years ago....

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-1166A1.pdf

Table 10 shows that the broadcast retransmission fees increased over 43% between 2013 and 2014, and is now more than $1.00 per month per channel...  for stuff they give away over-the-air for free...

I am a StarterTV subscriber, and only have video service for the local channels.  (Living in a valley prevents me from using an antenna).  My bill for Basic / Starter Service was $16.52 in 2009.  It is now $30.28 with all the fees...

Mind-boggling...

Observer

how much do they charge for a basic cable box?

Sharer

Spongebober wrote:

how much do they charge for a basic cable box?

That depends...

If you are on a legacy TWC Plan, and have a legacy TWC Cisco DTA, $4 /mo.  DTA's can only recieve StarterTV / Standard Tier...  No premiums, no PPV, no On-Demand.

If you are on a legacy TWC Plan, and have a full two-way set top box, $11.75 per month.

If you are on a Spectrum Plan, and have a set top box, $6.99 / mo.  ($5.99 + $1 for the secure connection fee).

You need SOME type of box to view video programming on most, if not all, systems.

So for me, on legacy TWC StarterTV, I would pay $20 + $7.50 +$4 with a DTA, for a total of $31.50 / mo for the Broadcast channels on one TV set with a DTA.  I'd actually pay a little bit more when franchise fees, regulatory fees, and sales tax is added...

Valued Contributor

And also by pulling out the Programming and Sports charges, they can add those to the "special price" they advertise.  The $99 new person price is not even close percentage wise to what you actually pay.  And if you are one of the 'special' long term customers you can pay much more than this. 

/Dan