Newcomer

Baby Boomer programing

I am a baby boomer and don't enjoy the channels that the 19 to 30 crowd watch.  And the advertizers that support programs only advertize on the programs for that demographic.

With about 65 Mil BBers around and maybe half of that willing to pay up to say $5 per ;monthmore for programs we would like to see,  that would be  $120 to $150 Mil per month.  How about having a Baby Boomer package?   We don't giv a rats backside about  Real Housewives,yes to a dress or anything of that nature.  Travel channel that is actually about travel like at theoriginal programs,  sports channels about something besides hunting and football., like maybe real fishing and not just bass tournaments. would be nice.

Mike and Molly good--Two Broke Girls bad.   Longmire,  good--first two seasons of Hell On Wheels-good. Pawn shop bandits-bad.  

2 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Baby Boomer programing

MFC67 wrote:

I am a baby boomer and don't enjoy the channels that the 19 to 30 crowd watch.  And the advertizers that support programs only advertize on the programs for that demographic.

With about 65 Mil BBers around and maybe half of that willing to pay up to say $5 per ;monthmore for programs we would like to see,  that would be  $120 to $150 Mil per month.  How about having a Baby Boomer package?   We don't giv a rats backside about  Real Housewives,yes to a dress or anything of that nature.  Travel channel that is actually about travel like at theoriginal programs,  sports channels about something besides hunting and football., like maybe real fishing and not just bass tournaments. would be nice.

Mike and Molly good--Two Broke Girls bad.   Longmire,  good--first two seasons of Hell On Wheels-good. Pawn shop bandits-bad.  

Greetings,

I agree with you and for one growing up in the 70's-80's miss a lot of the shows.  Never a fan of Reality TV.  The problem though is with the broadcasters that feel the need to cater to the 18-30 year old demographic, because they bring in the money today.  What kind of shows do you like on Spectrum?

I am a big fan of ME TV and Antenna TV.  Great shows from the 50's-80.  Hate the split-screens at the end of the credits though on ME TV.  I am also a huge movie fan of content from the 60's-80's.  I have most of the Premium Movie Channels in a discounted bundle package.  Epix and Cinemax are my favorites.  Epix Drive In plays older movies and so, a lot of times does Cinemax.  You can also watch classic full episodes of Johnny Carson on Antenna TV, which brings back a lot of memories.  History Channel might interest you as well.  Check out the shows on Discovery Networks, National Geographic, good stuff there!  I think you would also love Turner Classic Movies.  Rare movies there from the mid 20's to mostly the early 70's and commercial free.

Music Choice is good as well!  In my version of The Guide, you can create a list of your Favorite Channels by going to Settings and than selecting Favorite Channels.  Than you can add as many of the channels that you like.  (Press Save when done.)  Than, if you press the Guide button twice and select Favorite Channels, the Guide will show only those channels that you like in the time grid.  (I have my filter set to "Subscribed.")  To change and select a different channel filter, press the Guide button twice again.

Satch

Established Sharer

Re: Baby Boomer programing

MFC67 wrote:

The networks provide shows catering to the under-34 crowd because Madison Avenue wants to buy ad-time on shows that attract those viewers.  Even though boomers have lots of money to spend, their spending habits are already defined, and are very hard to break.  Advertising dollars are better spent on the young and impressionable.

I am sure you might have been happy to see Pettycoat Junction, Green Acres, the Beverly Hillbillies, Hee-Haw, and Lassie all get cancelled around 1970 and replaced with other ground-breaking television such as All in the Family, MTM, Mash, Bob Newhart, etc.  It's not as if those old shows didn't have good ratings - they did.  The problem was who was watching them.  Younger people felt those old rural shows were out of touch with modern times.

It's the same old thing all over again.

To that end, if you like old shows, there are many digi-nets broadcasting as subchannels on many major televsion stations.  You might be able to pick them up with an antenna.  Channels such as MeTV, AntennaTV, Decades, H&I, Laff, Cozi, Grit, buzzr,etc.  Here is a whole list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_over-the-air_television_networks#Genre-based_and...

You'll be hard pressed for a cable bundle of these channels simply because they are owned my many different media conglomerates, and their business model is to offer "all or nothing".   If you want ABC, you'll need to pay for Disney and ESPN, too...