Highlighted
Rookie

Antenna TV

What happened to Antenna TV?

On Halloween, I recorded the Addams Family marathon only to find out that as of 1 p.m. on October 31, 2017, Antenna would no longer be available. Needless to say, I was angry. I was looking forward to watching the show.

It's bad enough there aren't many good channels left, but to get rid of Antenna (one of the very few good ones), without notice, isn't fair to your customers.

Ever since Spectrum took over, programming has been going downhill.

Do better, Spectrum.

11 REPLIES
Browser

Re: Antenna TV

I was also disappointed to see Antenna TV had disappeared. No notification about the change, either.
Sharer

Janissi wrote:

What happened to Antenna TV?

On Halloween, I recorded the Addams Family marathon only to find out that as of 1 p.m. on October 31, 2017, Antenna would no longer be available. Needless to say, I was angry. I was looking forward to watching the show.

It's bad enough there aren't many good channels left, but to get rid of Antenna (one of the very few good ones), without notice, isn't fair to your customers.

Ever since Spectrum took over, programming has been going downhill.

Do better, Spectrum.

End of the month, and (possibly) the end of a carriage agreement.  AntennaTV is a digi-net, and is typically delivered as a separate stream on a local over-the-air station.  To that end, Spectrum's agreement is with the local TV station which carries this dig-net (AntennaTV).

Two things may have happened:

1.  Spectrum's carriage agreement with the MAIN channel expired, and consequently, the carriage agreement with the sub-channel ended, too.  This is something Spectrum could take action on.

2.  The TV Station itself ended it's carriage agreement with Tribune Media, which owns and syndicates "AntennaTV" to individual TV stations in each market.  This is not in the hands of Spectrum, but the local TV Station itself.

Not knowing where you live and what channel AntennaTV was part of means that we cannot determine the cause for cancellation.

In what market are you located?

Rookie

I'm not the OP, but I am in Wake Forest, NC, and also thinking stupid move on whomever's part it was to let Antenna TV go!! One of the last best channels. We did get the addition of GRIT, westerns and such that I am not intersted in, very poor quality station, non HD, and the sound is awful.

Sharer

wf2015 wrote:

I'm not the OP, but I am in Wake Forest, NC, and also thinking stupid move on whomever's part it was to let Antenna TV go!! One of the last best channels. We did get the addition of GRIT, westerns and such that I am not intersted in, very poor quality station, non HD, and the sound is awful.

Again, if the local TV Station which carried "AntennaTV" on one of its sub-channels and replaced it with GRIT, there is no action Spectrum can take.  It was the decision of the television station.

Regarding picture quality..  These old TV shows were shot on tape, in standard definition.  So they'd be at 480i at best.  However, many of these channels also stream at a low bit-rate, which makes the picture look like an old video-tape of the show.   That too, is on the TV station, which allocates bandwidth for each stream.  I am sure their priority is the main channel in 1080i, and not the sub-channels...

Spectrum Employee

@dstoffa I just want to say you nailed every point. GRIT features primarily OLD movies. Unless those movies have been digitally remastered in recent history, you're going to be viewing it at the best possibly quality the broadcaster has available, which could essentially be coming from an old VHS tape that was later saved digitally to be broadcast to you.

As far as Antenna TV goes, the Broadcaster has control of the content on that channel, and they opted to discontinue broadcasting Antenna TV.

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
N/A

Time Warner was bad enough, Spectrum is worse.  I keep finding channels I no longer have and never any notice or reason.  Now the Sportmans Channel is suddenly "no longer available."  Seems  the guide is "not available at this time" on and off every day.

As I am on here, my internet was lost again. Happens 20 times a day, almost every time I am on line.  Sometimes my schedule recordings are  not done too.

I am really sick of Spectrum. I'm looking at other options.  Something has to change. I pay over $300 a month for this lousy service.  Tired of it. Someone please tell me,  what is better, how about Youtube TV or something else?

Established Sharer

fideau wrote:

what is better, how about Youtube TV or something else?

Better or worse is all relative depending on what you need. If Spectrum isn't offering the channels you want but another provider is and they are available to you, make the switch if those channels are deal breakers. YouTube TV, Directv Now, Sling TV, Vue, etc. all should be available as long as you have an internet connection.  Directv and Dish are also available in most places. 

Lead Moderator

@fideau  if you are having trouble with your Internet connection and the guide that would indicate a problem with the signal levels.

We encourage you to start your own thread in the connectivity section of the forums and 

post  DATA-TO-POST-TO-GET-HELP-FROM-THE-COMMUNITY

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Sharer

The OP's problem is that WNCN was carrying Antenna TV and their carriage agreement ended.  The station changed owners last year.