Browser

Annoying testing at night, loud and repetitive

I don't care if these tests are government mandated or not. Why in the middle of the night?

Three times so far the RoCHNYEI test had annoyed us. We have to silence the TV to get rid of the annoying way too loud sound. Do them during the day Something is wrong that they keep repeating.  They started around midnight and it is now 12:30 Am. For the third time it is running.  PLEASE FIX THIS!!! Now for the fourth time this "weekly test" is running again. Something needs to be fixed.

5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Lead Moderator

Re: Annoying testing at night, loud and repetitive

Good morning.

I'm sorry to hear this has happened. Normally the test will run only once.

Since the forums are peer to peer support I would encourage you to contact us 

for direct support. 

We can be reached by phone

1-855-70-SPECTRUM (855-707-7328)

you can also contact our Social Media Customer Care team through

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,
Julia R.
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care
Lead Moderator-Community Forums

So happy to hear that our family is not the only one who has experienced this onslaught of repetative EAS announcements and disruptions.  Today is Friday, 17 May 2018.  Earlier this week, which I believe was Tuesday Night/Wednesday AM, we had ** 17 ** blaring 'tests' from 00:05 thru 02:20 in the morning.  The next night/am, we had four consecutive tests from 02:20 thru 02:50.

Certainly something is wrong with the software that controls when these tests are displayed.

However, the purpose of blaring loud noise, and running orange banners across the screen, seems beyond my understanding.  Perhaps a short message such as 'A Test of EAS is in progress, if this had been a real emergancy we would have blasted your volume up to such a degree as to wake your entire family.  This Test requires no screetching, disturbing, or annoying noises, so please continue to enjoy your television viewing until their is a real emergancy that requires your attention."   

Well, not so short a message, but you get the idea.

I dare say that in the event of a dire emergancy I will be watching a News Channel when the EAS blast will obscure my gleaning the details via the news channel.

Many Thanks,

Steve

Trusted Helper

@Steve_Manser wrote:

So happy to hear that our family is not the only one who has experienced this onslaught of repetative EAS announcements and disruptions.  Today is Friday, 17 May 2018.  Earlier this week, which I believe was Tuesday Night/Wednesday AM, we had ** 17 ** blaring 'tests' from 00:05 thru 02:20 in the morning.  The next night/am, we had four consecutive tests from 02:20 thru 02:50.

Certainly something is wrong with the software that controls when these tests are displayed.

However, the purpose of blaring loud noise, and running orange banners across the screen, seems beyond my understanding.  Perhaps a short message such as 'A Test of EAS is in progress, if this had been a real emergancy we would have blasted your volume up to such a degree as to wake your entire family.  This Test requires no screetching, disturbing, or annoying noises, so please continue to enjoy your television viewing until their is a real emergancy that requires your attention."   

Well, not so short a message, but you get the idea.

I dare say that in the event of a dire emergancy I will be watching a News Channel when the EAS blast will obscure my gleaning the details via the news channel.

Many Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve, (and all.)

Best thing to do is to contact the FCC.  There are bugs in any system, so let them know what happened here.  Make  sure to note our cable system, your city, state, and zip code, and the channels affected by the EBS test.  Here is the website:

https://www.fcc.gov/general/emergency-alert-system-eas

They have the most control over this, and I would propose to them to run the tests during the day or early evening, not when people are trying to sleep.  Go down the page and they have several contact options.

Satch

Dear Satch,

Thank you for your reply.  Your suggestion to contact the FCC is understandable.

Like most subscribers to Spectrum,  I just assumed that your offices had some control over when these emergancy broadcasts are aired, as well as to their frequency.

I had no idea that the FCC had such control, that they could require 17 such announcements over a 2 1/2 hour period, across all the cable channels I receive,  or that they had such control that you had no way to prevent such a disruption of service to your customers.  I never imagined that the FCC had such far-reaching control over our local broadcasts.  Seems I have a lot to learn.

The design and style of these emergancy broadcasts, of course, is mandated by the FCC, and I understand that you have no control over the noise and disruptions they cause your customers.  Perhaps when your merger is approved you will have more clout with the FCC.

Once again, thanks for your reply,

Sincerely,

Steve Manser

Proven Sharer

Satch, and the rest of us, are customers like yourself with the exception of the moderators and a few others that are identified as Spectrum employees.

Also, what merger are you referring to? The Time Warner Cable, Bright House Cable, and Charter Communications merger happened 2 years ago.