Rookie

Pixelation on one channel

I have an infiniTV 4 USB and I have one of the strangest things I have ever seen.  I am in the DFW area, and I am seeing pixelation on ONE(1) channel only, channel 11 the local CBS affiliate.  This was happening before the all the channel rearranging and only in the HD version.  So now that they have rearranged all the channels and I cannot get CBS in non HD, I am a little ticked off.  Does anyone have any idea what coudl be causing this?  None of my cable boxes seem to be having the issue.  All of the signal levels appear fine frpm the diagnostics page, but I am still having of the the TWC techs come out and take a look.  Does anyone know if I can disable HD on one channel?

6 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Pixelation on one channel

No, you have NO CHOICE , on the new lineups, there is only one place a local channel is and no selection of a second sd vs hd channel. If you have a cisco 150 box, it needs to be replaced with a 170 that supposedly auto switches.

there are similar issues in Austin that TWC has been lax in getting repaired for the past several months.

There is also a known problem with CBS in Texas on at least one head end near DFW, sending a tech out will not fix it as it requires one that can repair head end equipment, not the subcontractors.

It's possible they moved channels onto one that's trapped out for some subscribers, like the issue that affected 4000+ internet only subscribers in Austin and they're relying on customers to call in service calls to find them.Robot Sad.

TWC has no records of which subscribers have what filters are trapping out which channels they don't pay for, and unless you pay for all access, you probably have one on your line.

When a tech get's there, please let us know what he finds

Expert

on the diagnostic page, you will only see the level of the channel you're watching, If the box won't get the channel, it won't display a level, You also won't know if levels are good or bad if the channel is corrupted at the head end.

If there are filters that are trapping out tiers you're not paying for and they are wrong range, you should see a wide variation in signal level like more than 4 to 6 dB. If you see 10 db or more, there is a filter trapping out some frequencies and degrading others near it.

The whole filter issue is a stupid waste of TWC's manpower and resources, TWC doesn't need to trap out encrypted channels because they can simply turn them off in your box. Only the internet only customers would need to have the starter TV tier trapped out.

Expert

If you have a ceton or tivo with a tuning adapter, it must have the Ta connected to the pole side of cable and the other F connector must go to your Ceton or Tivo . The second port on a TA cannot be left open as it's an internal 2 way splitter. I've seen BAD INSTALL DRAWINGS of using a 2 way splitter before BOTH devices and the out port on the TA left open... This is not acceptable and using a term resistor on the port results in the TA losing an addirtional 3.5 dB of signal.

The other problem is there are very few COAM converters that TWC doesn't make any money on and they're the last to get addressed when there's a channel change or screwup.

You need to do a rescan to see if you get a new lineup or repaired channel aliasing map, TWC will not do that automaticly on COAM boxes, only the STB/DVR/DTA's they rent.Robot Sad

Contributor

I beg to disagree. Terminating the output of the TA's internal splitter does not reduce its signal level, either to itself or its coax output port. Cisco TA,s coax output is amplified to account for its splitter loss. Ceton and SD highly suggest it NOT be connected to their tuner inputs, instead split the coax between the TA and tuner device. While they do not say such, it is good practice to terminate ANY unused coax port.

This is how my Ceton has been connected, giving me much better results than connecting the TA's output to the tuner, which I did try early on. Its problem was that it increased the noise level on the higher frequencies.

I do not believe the Motorola TA's coax port is amplified, but terminating it will not reduce its internal level.

Rookie

I figured I was not going to be able to only do SD.  That part sucks.

As far as running the coax to both devices or daisy changing them, I have done both.  When I first installed my Ceton, I had the signal going to each device and for a while everything was fine.  But after a few months, the signal started degrading and was not as reliable.  When a tech came out, we switched it around and did the coax to the TA, then the TA to the Ceton.  It has been much more reliable ever since that switch was done, except for the issue with CBS 11.

As far as signal levels go, I have compared the signal level using the Ceton diag page, and it seems to be pretty similar to the other channels (around -5 I Think), so I don't think that is the problem.  Or maybe CBS needs a stronger signal?  The cable card support line said the tech should be able to isolate if the signal for the one channel has a problem.

Contributor

If you can lay your hands on an old script called AllCetonSignals.hta and run it, you will get a chart of frequencies, their noise levels and associated channels that would be helpful in you sorting out whether or not you have issues with specific frequencies. Note that this is not entirely definitive as traditional "channel maps" are not used with TAs and their implementation of switched digital video.

If you cannot find it, I would be happy to email it to you.